1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oswalt to Phils? ... The trade-deadline thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

And my point is it's not all luck, as you contend.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Here is what I wrote: "I think there are a couple things you can look at. Strikeouts. Ground balls (because you can induce more double plays). Whether a guy can retain his stuff out of the stretch."

That does not equate to "all luck."

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Happ was unbelievably lucky last year."

"At some point that luck runs out."

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone thinks Happ is the next Nolan Ryan. But you can't assume he's going to become crappy just because he had a season of aberrant numbers.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless the Yankees think that Joba's totally done, I'd highly doubt they'd trade him to an opponent in the division.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do the Yankees really care that the Blue Jays and Orioles are in their division?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He was.

It is possible that a pitcher may be better from the stretch than other pitchers.

It is not possible that J.A. Happ will continue to hold batters to a .158 batting average with runners in scoring position.

That, at least a large margin of it, is luck.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Are the Phillies committing to picking up the $16 million option that everyone was saying was the holdup?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

No word on that yet guy. Waiting for Oswalt to approve the trade. If he says he'll only approve if option is picked up, then Phils probably get more money from Stros.

Otherwise, there's about $5 mill owed this year, $16 mill next year and a $2 mill buyout for 2012 (option is worth $16 mill).

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The things I look at when judging a pitcher are home runs allowed and ks per nine innings.

If a pitcher is giving up more home runs and striking out fewer batters it will eventually be seen in their era and wins and losses.
    Those two stats take all the fielders out of the equasion.

Good point by Olney that the Yanks are not chasing Oswalt. That should speak volumes.

Dunn would be a monster in NYC.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Derrek Lee explains why he vetoed the trade to the Angels:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0729-cubs-derrek-lee-astros-ch20100728,0,793043.story

From all accounts, Lee is a stand-up, good guy, and I think he's being pretty straight with this answer. Of course, the season he's having doesn't give him the best bargaining position if he wants a new contract with the Cubs.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

- Dunn would be perfect for the Yanks, but he's probably just a rental so I wouldn't give up a ton. If the Angels check the standings in the next couple of days, I'd take Matsui back if he came cheap. No interest in Wigginton who hasn't hit in months. Ross would be great too, but I heard Forida isn't going to trade OFs.

- Who was it who turned down the trade to the Cubs a few years ago and got ripped by Cubs fans for not wanting to win?

Draft saved Draft deleted