1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oswalt to Phils? ... The trade-deadline thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Still hoping the Minnesota Twins can add a starting pitcher.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wouldn't be so sure. Guy has been traded an awful lot for a top prospect. Sure sounds like he has a case of the Andy Martes.

Plus, Ed Wade thinks he's good.

3. mb

mb Active Member

Awesome.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I always felt they could've given Lee what he wanted and kept Halladay. Amaro tried to play cheap ball and it hurt the team. Now, with Oswalt, the Phillies have a good rotation. BRING ON THE YANKS!!

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cantu to Texas is done.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/07/rangers-deal-again-before-deadline-and-trade-for-marlins-jorge-cantu/1

Cantu can play 2B, and that'll be helpful because Kinsler went on the DL today. He can platoon with Davis at 1B and play 2B against righthanded starters.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Lee was going to want at least 5 or 6 years and the Phillies don't like giving pitchers more than 4. Problem is talks were obviously going on with Howard on a big deal so money was slotted for him. Unless Lee was willing to take a discount (why would he when the Yankees will park trucks in front of his house with beds full of 100s) no way was he staying in Philly.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is technically true, but Cantu has played two games at 2B since 2007 and none since 2008. He was terrible there in 2006. Keep him at a corner and bench Swingie McSwingsalot.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I forget what the Phillie got for Lee. How does their return for Lee compare to what they gave up for Oswalt?

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Orioles trade Miguel Tejada to the Padres.

Depending on how much he plays that should do well to ambush any chances the Padres make the playoffs. You take a guy with no plate discipline, who is seeing on average .7 pitches per at bat or something close to it (I know that's impossible, but dude sees fewer pitches than the ugliest girl at the bar), and put him in that giant ass park? Talk about failure waiting to happen.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Cantu ain't exactly selective.

Then again, we do agree on Wallace. I brought up how many times he has been traded on the regular baseball thread. It does make you wonder why so many teams have been willing to deal him.

And even they traded for Oswalt, dealing away Lee was a mistake by the Phillies. I and many others have said it from the day they did it. They basically saved about $8 million and it cost them a dominant pitcher who had just proven he can be fantastic in the playoffs. You don't trade guys like that for prospects when you are a World Series contender.

Now, they trade for a veteran who they will probably end up paying more in the long run than they would have paid Lee even though he is not as good.

Oh, and add me to the very long list of people who don't think Happ can be what he was in 2009 again. Is he useful? Sure. Is he going to be an ace? Damn unlikely.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

How about: veteran presence on a young team that will be in a battle for the division or wild card all season. An alternative to the current shortstop, Everth Cabrera, who is hitting .200.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Alex Ochoa scoffs in your general direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted