1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oswalt to Phils? ... The trade-deadline thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Ramos might just be the best prospect traded in any deal so far.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Sonner, Testa is a throw-in. A 24-year old lefty in High-A with middling stuff. Ramos has the potential to be darn good.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that more teams don't sign veterans during the off-season, when for some reason no one wants them, when we all know that there's a good chance that they will be sought after at the deadline. You often here about bad teams playing veterans, that they're wasting time & taking time from young players for no reason. What they are (or should be) doing is establishing assets that can be cashed in right about now if they're successful, and if they aren't, you cut your minimal losses, and move forward.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You just don't get much in return for these guys. The Orioles got a 24-year-old former 9th-round draft pick with a 4.20 ERA in AA. I could be wrong, I don't have his scouting report, but that doesn't seem like much.

5. mb

mb Active Member

Washington would argue. Granted he's struggled in Triple-A, but he's still just 22.

Ramos' rankings among all minor-leaguers
    #42: Keith Law of ESPN (1/28/2010)
    #58: Baseball America (2/23/2010)
    #65: Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus (3/3/2010)

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I was referring to Capps, but you see it every year - guys who teams could have had for free in the off-season, they're willing to pay for now. You don't think the Pirates could get something of value for Dotel? Would the Yanks trade a mid-level prospect for Damon or Matsui? At the same time, I can't believe Dye can't get a try-out.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If they would have the chance to face Joba 18 times a year, they would. They weren't willing to give him up for Haren. Why would they give him up for Downs?

Hey, no ripping on Marte. He pitched a perfect inning tonight, with a strikeout.

The fact that he's an infielder and it was an 11-1 game is another story.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And there goes the final proof of how stupid the Pirates were to dump Capps for nothing, then give almost as much money as they saved to Dotel. Idiots.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Looks like that's what'll happen. Rangers are sending Swingie back to OKC.

Mitch Moreland had two hits in his big-league debut and was impressive enough that he'll stay up.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

We didn't need this to prove that.

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Fear The Twin!

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

BYH, true. I think everybody else finally came around on that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted