1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OUTING 2011 -- UPDATED WITH A WINNER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Figures. The date of the outing is one where I can't get vacation. The one time its within range and I can't make it!

I'm sad.

2. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Listen, I don't know if you know this, but I'm kind of a big deal.

:D

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, I know! That's why us lowly folks can't pull strings like you can. I'm like fifth on a totem pole of four.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Heh, heh. You said, "pole." [/beavis]

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Wow. I'll actually be stateside when this goes down. Maybe I can finally make it to one of these.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I hope to make my first outing. Too early to tell yet, but the schedule looks fairly clear!

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Damn. Was hoping to make it for the first time. It never fails, the best stuff comes to the Midwest the two weeks that I go back home to visit family.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I should have the details on what you need to make reservations tomorrow.

I thought I'd have it today. My contact told me that someone from sales would be calling me, but I didn't hear back from them yet.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re: Sox Park. Don't drive there. You can take the Red Line, or you can hop on Metra and get off just another few blocks over. With the Robert Taylor Homes gone and gentrification in the area, Bridgeport and Bronzeville are much higher rent districts. In fact, it's worth your while to walk around Bridgeport before a game to find a place to eat or spend your time. It's not Wrigley, but it also isn't full of douchey post-collegians either. Plus, you make yourself sound like a tough ass for saying you walked the neighborhood. Heck, my wife, who works near the area, goes into Bridgeport all the time for lunch. Or you can hang out in Chinatown, and take the Red Line one more stop to the game.

As for the outing, I guess I should pop by, given I'm a local. But don't anybody let that dissuade you from coming. Thanks, YF, for setting this up.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Can't make it but will expect drunken texts from certain people (you know who you are).

And YankeeFan, sounds like you hit one out of the park. Way to go.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If this thing ever comes back to Toronto, I can take in a few revelers. I'm a 10-minute walk from the ballpark.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've asked the hotel to hold 15 rooms for Thursday-Sunday.

To guarantee the rate, they want me to commit to booking 80% of the number of room nights they are holding.

So, I need people that would like to book this rate to let me know if they really think they are coming. If you can only do one or two nights, that's fine, but I need to know that too as it would count towards the 80%.

(Basically, we're asking them to block 45 nights, so we need to commit to 36 nights.)

I can adjust the number before signing a contract. I've asked them to give me a couple of days to gauge everyone's interest.

Please either post your intentions here, or PM me. I'll set the total number of rooms held in a couple of days.

If you can't commit now, that's cool too, but you'll have to hope that you can book one of the 20% of rooms still available.

Draft saved Draft deleted