1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OUTING 2011 -- UPDATED WITH A WINNER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My plan remains to be there - but I won't be able to give a definite for 2-3 weeks. Are the hotel rates good that long?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She hasn't given me any deadline and I don't think it will be a problem.

My biggest concern was for people who were coming -- and may have purchased flights -- to be able to start making reservations.

And, I didn't want anyone to put off purchasing flights or otherwise planning their trip for fear of not being able to reserve a hotel.

McCormick Place (the convention center) is dark that weekend, so there's no big convention and there's no big festival going on like the Taste of Chicago or the Air & Water Show. I don't think Astros fans will fill up a lot of hotel rooms either.

So, while I don't expect them to block off a bunch or rooms for us, I don't think that will be an issue if people can decide in the next couple of weeks. Even early June will be more than 6 weeks out.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

A Shedd Aquarium-Adler Planetarium-Field Museum trip has to be in the plans, right?

4. YankeeFan

People go on about the Shedd. I've installed an espresso machine there, but have never visited as a tourist.

I don't get the love for aquariums in general. And, in the summer, the place always has a line out the door.

Adler is ok, but it's more like a childrens museum to me than someplace that is a must visit for adults.

The Field is good. Still very kid friendly, but it's good.

To me the Art Institute is a must visit if you've never been. And you can check out Millennium Park and the Historical Society (free) while you're there.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I LOVE aquariums. They're my must-see in any city I go to. And Shedd is the best I've seen. Amazing.

I'm definitely going there, even if no one else does. :)

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

On a nice day in Chicago, I'd skip the museums and take one of the architectural boat tours. Took my nieces last summer (because my sister gets hives if she has to leave the 847), thought I would hate it but actually, it was an amazing view of the city.

Like NY, Chicago is one of those cities you don't have to overthink. Just get outside, head in some general direction, and see what finds you.

7. YankeeFan

I took my parents on one of those. We all enjoyed it.

But you're right, I love just being outside in Chicago on a nice day.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

All three of them!

9. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I also love aquariums. We should make this happen.

And I really enjoyed the Art Institute last time I was in town. I'd definitely do that again.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mrs. t_b_f and I are in. Now we just have to decide how long we're going to stay. I'm thinking get there late morning or early afternoon Friday and drive home Monday. She's worried about the heat and will likely only do one ballgame, so she might do her own thing one day while I hit the ballpark.

YF, once we get that ironed out, we'll make the reservations.

I can't wait.

Who else is in? I know IJAG and maybe Moddy, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Tell Mrs. t_b_f I'm willing to blow off a game to hang out and shop with her. I am not excited about three day games in July, as I'm very susceptible to heat stroke.

12. YankeeFan

Some of the strong maybes include nmmetsfan, wicked, ADodgen, DocTalk, and John.

Hopefully Bob Cook, Swenk, JakeandElwood and some other locals will also show up.

Draft saved Draft deleted