1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OUTING 2011 -- UPDATED WITH A WINNER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

YankeeFan: You mean Chicago isn't the draw I thought it would be and I might have been *alone* if I could still make it??

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pretty much. I figured Chicago was centrally located and a good draw.

Maybe it's me.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Two problems:

Economy. We didn't get a ton of people from outside the Cleveland area last year.

The Buffalo outing. A LOT of people on this board are in the Northeast, or at least that side of the Midwest. And a lot of them have already met each other. That falling on the same weekend was a bad deal for Chicago.

I still wish I could make it. I love Chicago and was looking forward to shopping. :) But the new house takes precedence.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Also with limited vacation days sometimes, it's hard to justify travelling far to meet people that you might only know from an online presence.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's not you, man. You deserve kudos for taking the lead on this.

Timing just didn't work for me ... actually will be in Chicagoland the weekend before the planned SportsJournalists.com outing to stay/visit with family in the burbs.

It's fun to come back to Chicago, 15 years since I lived there, and be a tourist.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

In my case, I've got significant concerns about whether I'll have a job two months from now, so as much as I've always wanted to go to Chicago, it's just not a smart thing for me to do right now.

Maybe it's also a product of the times. There was a lot more interest in outings and the like three, four years ago or so. Now it's hard to gin up the same enthusiasm. Maybe it's the economy. Maybe it's the rift. Maybe it's the fracturing of careers; whereas we were all journos or related to them a few years now, now a lot of us are in our post-journalism careers and it makes us less vested in things.

I had a good time at the outings (two official, one unofficial) I've been to in the last four years. But times change. Maybe it'll never be the same again. Which would suck, but it happens.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I buy into the economy and fracturing of journalism reasons, Meat. Add some nasty financial stuff here and there's almost no way. Worse, I've got a very good friend in Chicagoland who I'd love to see again.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Goes along with the fracturing of journalism, but furlough days really cut into a person's budget.

9. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I'm fortunate in the sense that I just started a new job, so the economic future's looking bright. As soon as I finish moving, and getting settled, etc. And that's not going to happen before Chicago.

Maybe 2012?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If'n it ever gets assigned to Atlanta, I'm up to host. And living here, I'll be a more capable host than I was in Cleveland (though Joel Hammond gets 98 percent of the credit for Cleveland)

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Ahhhh, Cleveland...that was a year ago this week. :'(

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Cleveland was awesome.

Great times with some great people.

Draft saved Draft deleted