1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OUTING 2011 -- UPDATED WITH A WINNER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Re: OUTING 2011

Amtrak rules. From my part of the world to downtown Chicago in less than 5 hours. Hope the dates work for me

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I know who Moddy, Junkie, IJAG and JackReacher are! They are...oh, not that kind of outing. (PS: JackReacher is Ryan Sonner)

3BF, these are definitely spouse-friendly events. My wife went with me to DC and Baltimore and had a great time with SJers and their spouses alike. She and Mrs. Moddy bonded both times over their occupational hazards, both as teachers and as wives married to men who are complete idiots.

I don't think we can do a midwest trip this year, but I highly recommend these outings to anyone who can go.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

An unofficial rule of thumb is that there the outing should correspond to a pep rally held in vain to keep something major involving the NBA from leaving town. The two official outings I've attended were in Seattle (rally to keep the Sonics from leaving on Monday, the day after most people left) and Cleveland (PLEASE STAY LEBRON rally Saturday of outing weekend). Carmelo Anthony being traded knocks Denver from the top of the leaderboard.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can we rally to get the Timberwolves to leave Minnesota?

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think what happens is the rally has the opposite effect. Hey, we could throw a save the team rally in Fairfax, VA!

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

:p Indoctrinate 'em early, I say!

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If we do Tahoe, there's always PCL baseball in Reno ... and other stuff.

9. lono

lono Active Member

And that, of course, is the true value of outings: Looking at your wife square in the eyes and saying, "See! She's married to an even bigger idiot than you are."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We have a winner. We will meet (well, at least I hope I can join) in Chicago in 2011.

YF has done a lot of work already. Got a fine rate at a good hotel. He will be the official host (and I'm sure he'll welcome all help).

He'll be along later with hotel details, dates, etc. Remember - don't bitch about the dates. We won't make everyone happy. It's his call.

No one volunteered for Denver or Minny but we ended up with a nice alternative that I may not have thought possible before. Chicago and Wrigley are GREAT.

I'd like to do Denver, Minny and San Diego in future years so start thinking now - if I get a host I trust, I'll go ahead and declare future years now.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't let IJAG fool you. She's already signed up to work a babysitting shift at this year's Outing.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

IJAG got her view on child care from Applebee's. :D

http://www.delconewsnetwork.com/articles/2011/04/12/news_of_delaware_county/news/doc4da4462c8c8c9734292761.txt

Draft saved Draft deleted