1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OUTING 2011 -- UPDATED WITH A WINNER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Eh, MDW's not that bad. And, since Southwest flies into MDW, but not ORD, it's a good option.

And, yes folks, the train runs from either airport to downtown. Do not take a cab. It's more expensive and will coat a lot more.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OR, there's a 253 fare available from Reagan to O'Hare. Non-stop both ways as well.

To illustrate YF's great work on the rate: If you book that flight with this hotel on Expedia, the hotel adds more than 200 a night.

YF got us a steal.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Moddy, what dates are you plugging in for DCA-ORD? I'm missing that rate.

4. Moderator1

Thursday-Tuesday. I'm going to stay for the White Sox.

5. swenk

swenk Member

Lifelong Chicagoan, happy to help if I can.

The Doubletree used to be the Holiday Inn City Centre, which was not suites. Decent location, just a couple blocks east of Michigan Ave, and a couple blocks west of the lake. On a nice day, if you're ambitious with a couple extra hours to kill, you can walk to Wrigley from there, might take an hour or a little more but you'll go up the lake or Lincoln Park and hit every great neighborhood and bar along the way. Otherwise, it's not near the el but you can get there, or jump in a cab.

To whoever is having the baby, there's a great maternity hospital around the corner, you're safe!

Nothing right around there is cheap, but it's a fun area, especially if you cross over Michigan to the very hot River North area around State/Hubbard. Hub 51, Rockit Bar & Grill, Public House, and a lot of great places I can't recall because I'm over 25. Close to Billy Goat Tavern, if you dare.

Midway is a little closer but either O'Hare or Midway can get you to the city via subway. Not a Midway fan, personally, feels like a bus terminal with planes.

If somehow a Sox game is involved, please note that stadium has the worst parking on earth. Do not drive. Wrigley might have the second worst parking on earth, but somehow it's charming. There is nothing charming about the neighborhood around the Cell, do not drive.

I'm not a huge fan of the Wrigley rooftops, you're a million miles away from the game and you're missing a chance to be at the greatest ballpark in the world.

Hope I can make it, sounds like a great time. I'm always good for a round of drinks. :)

6. Moderator1

I hope you can make it, too, swenk. For some reason, I thought you still lived there.

7. YankeeFan

If you look at the map I linked, the Red Line stop is three blocks West of Michigan Ave., and one block South of Ohio (where the hotel is located).

The Red Line runs to both Wrigley & Sox Park.

Here's a CTA map: http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/maps/ctatrainmap_2010jan.pdf

If you're coming in from MDW, you take the Orange Line to Roosevelt where there is a free transfer to the Red Line.

If you're coming in from ORD, you either have to come into the loop and then change to the Red Line, or you can take it to Grand and then hail a cab the rest of the way for a couple of bucks.

8. swenk

swenk Member

I do. Would love to meet you here.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Parking is fine at Comiskey; you just have to pay $30. Actually, there's a much better chance you can find a cheaper lot within walking distance than you would near Wrigley. But the general accessibility to Wrigley is much, much better. Maybe YF has connections at Engine 78 and the gang can carpool to Wrigley and park behind the firehouse. Not feasible? Seemed to work fine when I was a kid. :) In all seriousness, even though the parking will cost you, driving, IMO, is the better option for Comiskey. The park is right off the 31st Street Exit on the expressway. On a Monday, traffic won't be a problem. And no one wants to deal with public transportation around there. If you drive, at least you can get in your car and leave when it's over. Anyway, just my 2 cents for those sticking around to see the Sox.

10. swenk

swenk Member

I hope to meet you at the event so we can argue about this. But the fact you called it Comiskey means you are completely cool, so after we argue, I'll still buy you a drink.

11. YankeeFan

Funny you should say that. The guy that works for me has parked at Engine 78 and has told me I could if I needed too -- as long as no one more important needed to park there.

But, I'm close and would want to have a couple of beers.

I've driven to Sox Park. It's a pain in the ass. It is about $30.00 to park in a big lot about two blocks South of the stadium.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm going to do all I can to make it.

Draft saved Draft deleted