1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Robertson: Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Jun 8, 2023.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd like to think he started out with good intentions. But damn, it didn't play out that way, did it.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always struck me how he could say the most asinine and hateful things about people suffering in a time of need in the most grandfatherly voice. Most people - whether they were Christians, people of other faiths or neither - would say "How can we help?"

OscarMadison and wicked like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My fourth great grandfather was a ship's captain turned Methodist circuit rider around the year 1800.
    I'm reasonably sure if he carried merchandise and the message by sail and saddle, these jackass TV preachers could, too, if that was their true goal.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I did a search of my friends’ Facebook posts and Pat Robertson created a great deal of unity over the years. From the most fundamentalist MAGA to the most performative check-your-privilege liberal, they all despised the guy.

matt_garth likes this.
  6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

God created Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart and Jerry Falwell (among others) to make Pat Robertson seem a bit sane. But then, God got distracted and let Robertson stay on Earth a bit too long and the batshit crazy became obvious.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And God needs your money to do the upkeep and buy gas.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Part of a long family of Virginia racists. Another asshole who graduated from Yale for the connections and prestige it gave him, then spent his life railing against the "elites."

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Well, it's a good start to a Thursday.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

11. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I wrote the sports-related obit for Jerry Falwell for the Lynchburg paper back in the day. It was interesting work.

Draft saved Draft deleted