1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11310/1188010-100.stm

Great, NOW Penn State bans Sandusky from the campus.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

So what kind of penalties would the NCAA give in this case, if any? Someone mentioned the death penalty. We often talk about how sanctions that come five years or so after the original infractions hurt the players who weren't even there at the time or didn't have any involvement. This takes it to a whole other level. Here, you don't have any players doing anything wrong , so it seems hard to see how punishing the entire program would be just. You'd be punishing players because one of the old coaches was a pedophile and other coaches and administrators covered up for him.

A minor sidebar to the bigger horrifying story but will be interested to see what the NCAA ultimately does.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Where'd you get the idea the kid's dad was involved? The GA went to the GA's dad, who suggested he go to JoePa.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I highly doubt he'll be cited. He's key to prosecuting the case against Curley and Schultz. Charging him means you have to resolve his case before theirs and its not worth undercutting your witness' credibility by sticking him with that kind of charge. Once convicted, he most likely can be asked about that during any testimony by the defense.

Also, it's not clear that he had a duty to report what he saw under Pennsylvania law. The VP clearly did once he was informed of it, and probably the AD, but not the graduate assistant.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

No one has confirmed it's McQueary, for what it's worth. It very well may be him, but can't we get a little more confirmation before people just take his presence in this as gospel?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A news organization reports "several sources" identifying the GA as McQueary.

Why would you doubt this story vs. any other that cites anonymous sources?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I would guess in exchange for his testimony, the prosecutors would cut a deal with him in which he would cop to the failure-to-report charge in exchange for a suspended sentence and nickel-and-dime fine.

Just to get it on public record that people should indeed take this stuff to the cops.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Wonder if Paterno would have just reported it to his superiors if it was his grandchild getting raped in the shower.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Well, Saturday's game should be a lot more interesting now, with it being the last home gam of the season. if Penn State fans/alumni have any backbone they turn it into an informal protest. Given who I'm talking about, I wont hold my breath.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Gonna be a red-alert week for copy desks up that way. Plenty of words to look out for in quotes about this fine game of football.

Abused.
    Manhandled.
    Had their way with.

Etc.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A very good news organization, at that. And one that's run laps around the competition on this story.

But at least get someone else reporting that.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This thing grew by a lot while I was out - not going back and reading it all. Has anyone questioned why the GA didn't try to stop things? Did he, and I read right over that? What would YOU do if you walked into something like that? I'd like to think I'd have the stones to do something about it.

And the police should have been the first - and immediate - call.

That said, I'm not willing to hang the GA just yet because I can't say for sure what my reaction would be if I walked in on something so shocking. It is easy to say I'd do this this this or that. I'd like to think I'd handle it the right way. But damn. What a thing to stumble upon.

Last year on one of my FanHouse Saturdays, The Queen watched a feature on Paterno on one of the pre-game shows and started following him a bit. She's extremely shocked and disgusted -- "more like mortified" -- now and is very curious to see what happens here.

Draft saved Draft deleted