1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE* Paterno Fired

The lack of priorities when it comes to college athletics that makes people think the football team is bigger than the safety of children.

2. Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE* Paterno Fired

Armchair, speaking for myself, I can assure you I am not trying to just out-do someone else's moral outrage. My strong feelings are real and for what I think are valid reasons.

As for just not watching, that is not applicable in this case. I ask you not to take this as some type of preachy statement, but a legitimate question asked in an even tone:

When part of your strong reasons for speaking are that the culture that created too much silence is part of the problem and you fear the folks in that environment are not grasping that lesson ... well, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to just say, "OK, I won't watch," would it?

As for the healing idea, I wonder who this healing is for? The students, the fans, the university? Sure. I would say some even believe that. I would say from my vast experience of being around athletes over many, many years, that I once would have thought it was healing for them too. I have come to recognize that in most cases -- not all, because it's not fair to say that -- that they are insulated from just about anything.

I also think that in this setting there is a lot more healing placed on the loss of Paterno than the actual victims. You may think that's unfair. I would counter that that beautiful vigil last night -- and I'm not being sarcastic, that was wonderful -- came a week after the news hit. The protests for Paterno came a few days after.

There is a perspective change needed and it doesn't just entail the principles in the story. They obviously deserve and receive the most blame. It doesn't mean you can't try to explore the bigger picture.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't recall saying the victims were healed. They'll never be healed.

It's absolutely fucking ridiculous to think canceling a football game is going to help them in any way at all.

Canceling a game or a season is not an act of contrition. It's a cheap stunt by a school desperately hoping to minimize the legal and financial damage its years of covering for a monster will certainly and rightfully bring.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Playing the game is insensitive and tone deaf, especially given the decidedly pro-Paterno vibe being found all over campus.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So do you have Penn State or Nebraska in your parlay?

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Rick, I'm sorry, but a cancellation would only make that vibe more intense. Surprised you don't see that.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No, canceling the game or the season is the act of a school doing SOMETHING instead of its longtime default, of doing NOTHING.

8. RickStain

Then keep cancelling until the message sinks in.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You're trying to affect sociological change that is not going to happen.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So firing the president & head coach qualifies as doing nothing? It's certainly not enough but it's definitely not nothing.

And again, canceling the game is not an act of contrition in any way shape or form.

11. RickStain

Cancel enough football games and I think it will.

Giving the community a festival in which to celebrate the exact thing they are resisting putting into perspective is the opposite of helpful.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I figured someone would jump on that as being enough. It's not. It's silly to argue that it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted