1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE* Paterno Fired

Shot, I know you did on the first part. As for taking away the entertainment/escape, I get that and think it's a fair stance.

But I don't think my stance has been unfair or unreasonable to question whether some distance could help, given all the circumstances around it that I pointed to in my recent posts. And I quite honestly did resent you trying to dismiss me as just trying to shout moral outrage. I assure you my thoughts on this are much deeper.

I'm not even sure I think the game needed to be canceled, but from players to fans this whole week to watching this today to see how I would feel ... I think it could have been beneficial to cancel it.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE* Paterno Fired

Well, I believe I made you think, even if I did sting a bit (for which I apologize).

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

In fact, Shotty's response seems to prove the point of those who think the game should have been cancelled.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

DD I don't think that at all. I guess I am fascinated by your struggle.
    From your ruminations over the years hear at SJ it seems like you have
    always struggled for acceptance from the "do it my way" military style coach. Perhaps never haven received that acceptance you have now have taken to discrediting them and their style. Perhaps it's a defense mechanism to offset your own insecurities.
    As a writer it's probably a good place to be. It allows you to view things with a more cynical eye.

5. Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE* Paterno Fired

Shot, I think you misunderstood me. My thoughts have been deep on this well before our back and forth.

I am being diplomatic a bit too here because I actually am more disappointed I don't feel I got you to think. I won't get into this too much deeper because I have to do some work, but your attitude on this part of the issue represents more of the problem than the solution to me.

I do appreciate you acknowledging the tone and apologize for any snipes I might have made.

6. jr/shotglass

Why? Because you're being disagreed with?

You've been disagreed with before on this forum. I can state book and verse.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Honestly don't understand the "pound of flesh" comment.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm lost in all the quotes above, but I thought you were arguing that the tailgating fans would find the idea of canceling the game to be revolting, at the very least.

And as for me, I don't have any problems with people disagreeing with me, unlike some folks around here. Like I noted 50 pages back, it's just an Internet message board for people to waste time on and be entertained. It's not a jury room.

9. jr/shotglass

Azrael, I find it hard to fathom you don't understand the "pound of flesh" comment.

It's really at the crux of what we've been talking about with debate over cancelling games, or the season.

It's a matter of "punishment" as opposed to "education." It's "damn those Penn State fans, they're going to have to pay for what happened here, too."

And I truly believe that it's easy to say out loud, "No, it's about teaching." But deep inside, "it's about punishment."

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Where do you get "education?" I've said repeatedly it's "atonement."

Atonement has almost nothing to do with punishment.

www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Atonement

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Shottie, I think the disagreements stem from the fact that people on the outside looking in are trying to see the big picture, whereas people like yourself continue to be defensive while making this about how unfairly they're being treated. As oscar said so eloquently before, it's no longer about You or The Game or The Team. Your take is not only insulting, it's unbelievably selfish.

12. Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE* Paterno Fired

Man, I have to get back to work, but couldn't help ducking back in.

Again, speaking for myself, my thoughts are no way focused on the idea of "punishment" but perspective.

Does it anger me to see the tweets from the players I mentioned?
    Yes.
    Do I still understand they're college students and need guidance, not scorn for them?
    Yes. I want an adult to show them things are bigger than them.

Does it anger me to see the students at the school who rioted for Paterno dig more daggers into the victims, unwittingly?
    Yes.
    Do I want to punish those students?
    No. Want them to get what they're supposed to at a college -- an education. Get them to see beyond the hallowed football program that makes them feel so much that they can't really believe it doesn't have as much significance as it seems. I know this after years and years of realizing it from the inside and I STILL can get caught up in it. It's not an easy thing to break.

Think about when games were canceled after Sept. 11. That was not "fair" to the players who would miss their big days and all the rest of it. But that wasn't the point. The point was there was something bigger than them. That's what needs to be understood. Not to punish them. But to make them begin to grasp something that too often is not realized.

Draft saved Draft deleted