1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Again, the parallels between this and what happened in the Catholic Church are stunning -- and very disturbing.

Not only the crime committed, either.

Untold number of parishioners, victim family members, and priests "did what they were supposed to" and reported their suspicions of abuse to the next highest authority within the church bureaucracy.

Instead of the police.

How many more victims suffered because of those decisions? Because of the decisions involving Sandusky's crimes?

It's brutal to think about.

2. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Also: In the 23-page grand jury report, it mentions that one of the victims was photographed in SI as part of a feature story on Sandusky. I hope an editor at SI has had the foresight to remove that photo from the website so as not to unwittingly identify the victim of sexual assault.

3. JPsT

JPsT Member

Also of interest (and pretty chilling in hindsight) are the letters in the following issue http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1018192/3/index.htm

Although there is a letter published from someone whose life was positively impacted by Second Chance.

Also, I've seen Baylor mentioned a couple of times. Every time it comes up I think about what a raw deal Abar Rouse got.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I always thought Paterno was a douche. What a disgrace.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I read an ESPN story on Rouse a couple of years ago. They quoted several head coaches (even Krzyzewski, I believe) that said Rouse's job there was to keep his mouth shut, and that, even though he may have done the right thing, they wouldn't hire Rouse because they "couldn't trust him."

6. Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Saw this in today's round of stories ... Hadn't seen it before ...
    Statement from Second Mile ...

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Joe, quoted this morning in USAT:

"If this is true, we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals
    trained in such things. and we grieve for the victims and their families."

But the cat was already out of the bag.

Disingenuous, self-serving douchery.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Eventually he's going to have to answer. And it won't be pretty. Penn State doesn't have the guts to kick him off the sidelines now.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

From the wire story on ESPN: "The first case to come to light was a boy who met Sandusky when he was 11 or 12, the grand jury said. The boy received expensive gifts and trips to sports events from Sandusky, and physical contact began during his overnight stays at Sandusky's home, jurors said. Eventually, the boy's mother reported the allegations of sexual assault to his high school, and Sandusky was banned from the child's school district . . . "

Just wondering, why didn't the mother call the cops?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Do we know no one called the cops?

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

So his kid wrote that bullshit press release? Seriously, what the hell was Paterno thinking? His own GJ testimony refutes part of that statement. Anybody who thinks he has "bosses" at PSU need simply read that litter box of words. Paterno obviously doesn't even have to get their approval on public statements. He has no superiors.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Catholic church has already announced it plans to expedite Paterno's beatification, just like Pope JP2.

Draft saved Draft deleted