1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Yes. Nobody did. Investigation was triggered by school board who reported complaint to DA three years ago.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'll call it now ... he announces his "retirement" right before Penn State's bowl game for the good of the Penn State brand.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

derwood, I ask because a lot of times people assume.

If Paterno rules Penn State the way it's portrayed, it isn't inconceivable a local law enforcement official friendly to the program looked the other way or dismissed a tip as rumor a long time ago. I'm just asking a question anyone covering the story should consider.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Local cops don't investigate these types of crimes. State's attorney has special unit that investigates and prosecutes sex crimes.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Everybody must go. Everybody. The current university president included. This is insanity. Once his testimony becomes public, I don't see how Paterno can survive this. He's pinned in by his own inaction.

If I'm a Penn State alum, fan, or parent with a child attending the university, I want everybody out.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you, and would love to see that happen.

I put the chances of Paterno being fired at maybe 10%.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Board of Trustees should sweep the whole place clean -- today.

And, I think you probably need to let Joe's entire staff go too. Let them reapply for their jobs after the season.

I don't know who coaches the team this weekend in my scenario. Maybe a local high school coach and his staff can handle it. If not, just forfeit the damn game.

It's a disgrace of the highest order.

8. Lugnuts

Fired, resigns, forced out... whatever. I think fans might abide JoePa knowing about a murder... but this?

I'm thinking out of the 3 arrests, chances are good at least 1 goes to trial.

That means Paterno would have to testify in court. How does he go into a courtroom and look at the mothers of the victims? How does he do that? He's a father, a grandfather... a man. Just to have to picture in his mind what happened to those boys-- and talk about it. Knowing he could have stopped it. How does he do that?

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

He won't be fired. If anything, he'll say that he doesn't have the energy to coach anymore and "retire."

But Penn State's problems won't necessarily end there. Could the NCAA cite Penn State for lack of institutional control and slap it with probation and other penalties? And if so, does that impede the school's ability to lure a top-tier replacement for Paterno?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is a criminal matter of the utmost gravity involving the entire administration of one of the largest universities in the country. The NCAA isn't really relevant. From here on in, nobody employed at Penn State has any interest but avoiding prosecution. I honestly don't see how the president lasts a day. He is employed by people who have elections to face.

11. Lugnuts

Bingo Michael.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Removing it also identifies the victim.

Draft saved Draft deleted