1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

If we thought JoePa was old now, he's going to play a much older man at his presser. More denials and misrememberings than an MLB Congressional steroids hearing.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I just wonder if JoePa has reached the limits of his stroke in Happy Valley. We discovered a few years ago he couldn't protect Rene Portland forever.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

While that may be true it stands to reason the first place a witness would think to call would be the local police department.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It occurs to me that a lot of the folks writing about this story haven't read the indictment. Maybe because it's too painful?

I just read Bill Lyon's story (column?) on Philly.com. Some of his word choices are unfortunate. The facts about Sandusky's past that Lyon chooses to highlight make one shudder, and I don't think he meant for that to happen. For example, in singing his praises, Lyon points out that Sandusky was a foster father to many children.

He's been charged with 40 counts. In other words, those are the counts the prosecutor thinks she can prove. What about all the others?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not going to read it. Too much for me.

But, yeah, pointing out that he was a foster parent to so many kids as a point in his favor is like pointing out that a person who murdered his parents is an orphan.

He set up the charity -- in 1977 -- to be around children. Maybe -- maybe -- he didn't molest kids at first, but he certainly was titillated by being around them.

And, once he crossed the line, beginning in 1994 at the latest, I believe (though probably much earlier), I'll bet he abused far more than 5 kids.

His charity specifically "served" the kind of kids who are ripe for abuse.

Priests, coaches, and other authority figures that prey on kids look for the ones from broken homes. The ones who need "mentors". The ones who think no one would believe them if they came forward. The ones who don't have a loving figure in their life and who could be confused by the actions of a respected community figure.

For a priest or a coach, that might be a small fraction of the kids you interact with.

For Sandusky, that was every kid he came in contact with.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Rene, the loyal Catholic who hated gays. Now we have a sex abuse cover-up. Hmmmm....

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Gee, ya think? Ohio State was about free tattoos and jerseys, this is about children being raped.

It's absurd to even compare this to any other recent college scandal, except maybe that Baylor/Bliss/Dotson situation. This is something entirely different. Ohio State and Miami didn't involve any criminal violations, only silly NCAA rule violations. I simply nodded my head to the allegations in those cases knowing that stuff is going everywhere. Whereas the grand jury report in this case utterly stunned me and made me want to puke.

Didn't JoePa have some famous quote years ago about how he "couldn't leave college football to Barry Switzer and Jackie Sherrills of the world", the implicaiton being that he was needed to maintain the moral integrity of the sport. And the press back then always bought into that notion that JoePa was operating on some higher moral plane than other coaches. And it turns out he had a child rapist running his "Linebacker U" defense at the very time he gave that quote.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

What Lugnuts said. They should all go and Sandusky deserves to be shot. At some point, Paterno is going to have to face the media and answer questions as to why he didn't call the police. Nothing that old geezer piece of shit says can justify his inaction.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't know why but I am starting to think of Paterno as Colonel
    James from Boogey Nights.

At least Woody went out swinging.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

derwood, I'm just addressing the many questions of why nobody called the police. That's a call a person would make if they don't know who investigates specific types of cases. People keep implying nobody said anything to police. I'm saying it's all but impossible to be certain absolutely nobody did -- and it has nothing to do with who actually does the investigation in such matters. That's all I'm saying. It's only a tangent.

And I agree with Lugnuts. Everybody must go.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Unless Penn State fires everyone (guilty, not guilty, didn't know didn't care) on the staff right now and brings in an Urban Meyer, Jon Gruden type of name with a new staff, they are going to be amazingly bad in 2-3 years.

How do you think recruiting is going right now?

If they do not fire Joe, I see them winning three games, at best, for a long, long time.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

"Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it won't taste good."

-- Joe Paterno

Draft saved Draft deleted