1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Look at what happened to the Baylor assistant. That could have weight on the GA's mind.

Or, like I said earlier, it could have been ingrained to him to "If there's a problem, don't go to the police. Go to us and we'll handle it."

There's still a lot more of this story to come.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The reason it hit the rumor mill, Ace, was because someone reported on it.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/jerry_sandusky_former_penn_sta.html

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/message_from_the_second_mile_o.html

That happened a couple years after the incident referenced in the indictment.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a report that he was seen doing it three different times? If that is correct, he wasn't THAT discreet.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't think that should even be in question. The guy was once the hottest defensive coordinator in the business, had won the national assistant of the year award and national championships, was believed to be next in line for the Penn State head coaching job, could've easily had another Div. 1 head coaching job any time he'd pursued one; but THEN in 98 an internal investigation into his off field conduct occurs and the very next year year he "decides" to permanently "retire" from coaching at the age of 55.

You'd have to be pretty damn naive to think it just coincidence that his 99 retirement came right after that that 98 investigation. Suggests to me that Penn State officials discovered some ugly shit in 98, but decided to hide, cover up and distance themselves from it instead of reporting it to anyone outside the University. Also suggests to me that Paterno knew something well before the 02 shower incident. Also bought the pervert an extra 13 years to run amuck with kids.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

http://xenophonstrategies.com/blog/posts/5-keys-joe-paterno-when-facing-tough-questions-about-jerry-sandusky

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That makes two of us.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

didn't he interview for the UVA job in 2000 and get turned down?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I see no point in the NU fans doing anything other than cheering for their team.

Paterno will probably coach from the booth so it's not like he'll be on the sideline and I fail to see any reason to yell at PSU's players for something they had nothing to do with.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

In his defense, Al Groh is a fucking genius.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. After it had been the subject of a grand jury for 18 months and based on contact with a kid at a high school -- nothing to do with Penn State.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I still wonder why Mike Reid quit football to become a concert pianist.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Don't know, but I do know he was previously offered the Maryland job and various other head coaching jobs over the years, but turned them all down in expectation that he was next in line at Penn State after Joe Pa. Then that 98 internal investigation happens, he retires the next year, never coaches again. If he did later interview for Uva, I wasn't aware of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted