1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Billy Gillispie has no idea what you're talking about.

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

This is why Paterno needs to resign. Post haste. This isn't going away, and in order for the program to move on, he needs to go.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jerry Sandusky is the Colonel. Joe Paterno is Floyd Gondoli.

[​IMG]

"Meeeehhhh. I like simple pleasures, like, meeeeeehhhh, butter in my ass and lollipops in my mouth. (Shrugs to no one in particular) That's just me. That's just something that I enjoy. Meeeeeehhh, so sue me!"

(I never, EVER, pass up the chance to quote that line)

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There'll be a shitstorm if PSU cancels the presser, but there will be worse ones if:

1) they hold it, and Paterno is able to hold focus and composure the entire length of the PC and restricts his answers to variations of "I cannot discuss that since active investigations are under way," or

2) they hold it and Paterno is NOT able to hold his focus OR composure, and blurts out something catastrophic for the program or himself personally. Considering the huge national focus on the story and the likelihood there will be some attention-grabber shock jocks in the audience who will attempt to bait or provoke Paterno if he tries to dodge, this is really almost inevitable.

There are no good exit strategies here.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Joe, against Nebraska, do you think you'll be able to zip up that fly pattern?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Too fucking bad for him. Reap meet sow.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Moms aren't happy. Wonder who will throw out the first lawsuit and get the millions they and their sons so richly deserve. Hope it comes out of JoePa's pension.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/mothers_of_two_of_jerry_sandus.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

8. Starman

Oh I agree 1000% -- this simply shows what kind of idiots are steering the ship up there. Apparently they have no idea of the shit that's about to land on them -- or they think they can shut it down. Good luck on that.

Oh and I forgot Option 3 on my post above:

3) They hold the PC, a couple people ask about football, JoePa babbles out his usual semi-rambling jokesy answers, somebody steps up and fires a question about the scandal, Paterno starts hemming and hawing, a SID flunky grabs the reporter by the arm and starts pulling them out of the building in full view of all the live video cameras, somebody on the phone asks something about the scandal, all of a sudden all you hear is a click and a dial tone, Paterno sits there glassy-eyed, somebody else jumps up and asks about the scandal, PSU campus security drags them out of the building feet first, people are shouting on the call-in lines, people are grabbing for the microphones. Somebody throws a shoe ...

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Of course they believe the can shut it down. They've been shutting it down for 45 years. You have that kind of control and autonomy for 45 years you start to believe your shit doesn't stink and you can control anything. It's also going to be interesting to see Pants Shitter U and it's 1950s way of dealing with the media clashes with the 2011 version of the national, mainstream media. The football program has never dealt with something this, and it shows as they issue statements saying, "Joe will only talk about this."

If they had any brains (and we all know they don't) they would say, "Look, let the beat guys get the first 10 minutes to get Nebraska game info and then we'll give you guys a few minutes at the end." But to shut 'em down completely? That'll send every news director and editor into a direction of, "Fine, snoop around and dig up some other sources." So instead of having control over what is said, you send them out to talk with people you have no control over. Brilliant.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

There is a fake Graham Spanier twitter account: @GSpanierPSU "If you're upset about this, just wait until you hear about the serial killer working in the liberal arts department."

11. Starman

The big boys from the networks will all be there. Their program directors ain't going to put up with questions about football strategy and the weather forecast for Saturday. They will send people in there with ORDERS to ask about the scandal, and not to give up until either somebody says something or they get dragged out by their heels in full view of the cameras.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

In case you didn't click on it before because I didn't say what it was. This is a PR expert's opinion on what Joe Pa should do.

http://xenophonstrategies.com/blog/posts/5-keys-joe-paterno-when-facing-tough-questions-about-jerry-sandusky

Draft saved Draft deleted