1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

This writer was the guy in charge of staging Bonds and Giants press interactions during Balco and the record chase, yeah?

2. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

I went to Penn State. Graduated in the early '80s. I've been reading this for three days and it's really sickening and depressing that this could've happened there. I've always been proud of the school and liked and respected Paterno. How he showed such horrible judgment here is beyond me. I can only hope it's because McQueary didn't explain well what he saw and Paterno treated it as an unfounded rumor that needed to be looked into. I'm sure that's just wishful thinking and the truth will come out soon.

That said, I still think Paterno had the least responsibility in this chain of people. McQueary and his dad - who knew of something as it was happening - are the worst. How do you see this and just walk away, leaving the kid behind?

The AD or President or HR rep - who are supposed to handle these things - are the next in line. Where I work, we're trained yearly in what to do when we see security/harassment/violence problems - report it to HR or whoever unless it's an immediate problem. If Paterno knew about it as it was happening, of course he should've done what McQueary should've done - call 911. After the fact, you report it and let it be investigated by the people who are supposed to know what to do and who to go to.

I have no idea how Sandusky could've been allowed anywhere on campus after that though. Even if you think it's a rumor, you either don't let him on campus or you make sure he's supervised at all times. That he was there for years afterward, and still in the company of kids, is unfathomable. Unless he was investigated and cleared, how do they let him back?

Some of you are being ridiculous though. "... old fuck...", "doddering old man", "shitbag of the highest order", "old geezer piece of shit". Some of you obviously didn't like Paterno to begin with. There are people at large companies whose job it is to handle these things. Those people were told and mishandled it. Paterno wasn't the witness and wasn't told when it was happening so he told the people who are supposed to go to the police. If the crime isn't occurring right then, you delegate it to those whose job it is to go to the authorities. He should've followed up when he still saw Sandusky around afterward but he's not the main problem here - just the easiest to attack.

I have no idea how some of you have such vitriol for Paterno while sympathizing with McQueary. He walked away from a 10-year-old being raped. And waited a day to report it. To someone other than the police. He's the one I'm wondering about on Saturday - will he be on the sideline? I'm sure Paterno will be in the booth. I'll cheer for the football team on Saturday. That's not the same as cheering for Paterno or the President or anyone except the football players. Sorry if you interpret it otherwise.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Holy crap on a cracker.

How on earth can anyone, even a Penn State alumnus, think that "He's got the least responsibility of the people involved who did terrible things" point is something worth even bringing up?

Yes, it's technically possible to argue that. But why on earth does that matter? Why would you think that's a relevant point to bring up?

He was on the morally despicable side of the line along with many others in the organization. Who the hell cares who was further past the line?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's probably the closest thing to a sensible take I've seen so far, but I think trying to make a big "talking point" out of the meme “according to the attorney general, I fulfilled my legal obligation,” will just tee him up for an utter blasting over his MORAL obligations as opposed to his LEGAL ones and create the public image of a hair-splitting weasel trying to excuse inexcusable actions over semantic technicalities. He would be better off not bringing it up at all.

Seriously the best thing -- the least damaging thing -- would probably be for Paterno to come out, sit down, and say, "I know nobody wants to talk about football, and I understand that. A lot of things have come out which are disturbing to me and everybody in the Penn State football community as well as many people in the public at large. I know you have to ask about it, but unfortunately, I think you can all understand, for a variety of legal reasons I cannot really say anything meaningful about this entire subject at this time. You can ask me, I won't get mad or throw you out or anything, but my answers are all going to be variations on the phrase 'no comment.' That is going to get very boring after about three minutes, but if you can put up with it I can. I know that will not be satisfying to most of you and it isn't to me either. But that's how it's going to be."

THEN, he would have to stick to it -- sit there as long as it took and just calmly say, "I can't give you any answer to that question," without babbling or rambling or flying off the handle or losing focus or losing patience or anything, no matter how aggressive or persistent or confusing or deceptive or provocative the questions get.

At 45, he could have done it. He probably could have done it at 65 or maybe even 75, but he's in his eighties. Hell, I'm 30 years younger and I probably couldn't do it.

Then after that calm, cool, collected performance ... he'd be ripped nationwide for evading the questions.

The same thing that will happen if they just cancel the PC.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

ESPN noted on sports center that the school already said he wouldn't answer questions, and i presume other outlets are making this known too, so it isn't even one of those inside-baseball beat disputes anymore. The questions he is asked have become a drama unto themselves.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A press conference at which he won't answer questions? At which he'll most likely only read a prepared statement ... that he can't make any statement?

WTF?

[​IMG]

7. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

I guess I see it as a link in a chain. If you see a crime being committed, you don't call a detective, you call 911. They are supposed to assign an initial responder who will then get a detective. I don't think a lot of people who call 911 follow up to see that the detective got assigned or how they're doing their job. You call 911 and have a reasonable expectation that the right people will now handle it.

For something like this that is in the past, you still call someone who will get the right people involved. Paterno called the person he was supposed to call. He had a reasonable expectation that there would be proper follow-through. Unless it comes out that this was purposely covered up and Paterno was involved, I don't think he's the one that should be under attack here. You're just doing it because he's the most famous person involved.

My biggest fear is that this was a big cover-up and part of the reason McQueary is standing there on the sidelines next to Paterno is a reward for "doing the right thing for the program" and keeping it in-house. If that turns out to be true, I just don't know what to say.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just want to say that BitterYoungMatador is performing at a Babe Ruth-esque level on this thread.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dead for 63 years?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And ESPN will send Rachel Nichols...

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Either one will be highly entertaining. Or at least has the potential to be.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Part of the QB's tweet from the above link:
    Maybe not the best thing to say right now. Just maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted