1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

This wasn't just some random petty theft or some other crime. Joe Paterno was informed that a close colleague had allegedly raped a child. If someone told me that someone I know, someone I see on a regular basis, had raped a child, I would damn sure want to know more about it than just "well, I filled out the proper form, not my problem any more." But let's put that aside for a minute.

Here's the bigger issue:

The stories just don't quite add up.

The GA claims to have told Paterno "what he saw," which was an rape of a child.

The next day, Paterno's report to the AD had downgraded it to "fondling" and vague "sexual contact."

So we have a couple of explanations:

1) The GA did a poor job of explaining to Paterno what he saw, or downgraded it himself somehow.
    2) The GA exaggerated to the grand jury and never actually saw a rape.
    3) Joe Paterno downgraded the report when he reported it to his superiors.

Out of those possibilities, No. 3 makes the most sense. It passes the smell test. Paterno was friends with Sandusky, and his subsequent lack of action indicates that he wasn't exactly adamant about seeing justice served in the case. And No. 3 makes Paterno a completely despicable person.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You really don't know what to say? Here, I'll help you:

"Wow! We really aren't like every other college football program. We're worse. Much fucking worse."

because that would be Baylor basketball plus SMU times Barry Bonds.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

Given how many Nebraska travels to games I don't think there's a shower or wrestling room big enough for that.

4. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

Agreed. If that turns out to be true, even that would be too little. Please let that not be true.

5. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

That's another of my fears - that it went from "anal rape" to "horsing around" via Paterno. I thought reports so far had made it sound like McQueary didn't give the details to Paterno and I hope that is true. Otherwise, there's no way Sandusky is allowed there unless Paterno is what he has been called throughout this thread. Right now, I'm hoping that's not true.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

Lets cut to the chase:

Joe Paterno has enough clout, both at Penn State, the town of State College and Centre County, to go to to jerry Sandusky's house the next day after hearing whatever McQueary told him, start smashing his car like Tony Soprano did to Big Pussy Bompansero's wife's Cadillac, and yell, "you stupid, sick sonofabitch! Are you nuts? You're gonna' get in trouble and take us all fucking down with you! I want you out of the school, out of this town and out of this county. Move to Erie. Move to Philly. Move to Ohio. I don't give a fuck where you go but stay the hell away from this school. Put your house up for sale and we'll take care of getting a buyer. Just get the fuck outta here."

Instead what did he do? He told Tim Curley! Who then probably did what Joe told him to do with it, which was nothing. Curley played for Joe and was hand-picked by Joe to take over for him as AD so you can guess who answers to whom. I don't doubt for a minute that Spanier knew nothing. he strikes me as a Gordon Gee type who doesn't want to know too much and just is glad Joe allows him to have a job.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh for cripes sake, if you don't understand the basic power structure difference between McQueary's situation and Paterno's, than I don't know what to say for you.

At the time, McQueary was a 20-something, zero-clout, zero significance, naive graduate student assistant who inadvertently observed an unspeakable crime being committed by a legendary PSU figure upon a child. Meanwhile, Paterno was the unquestioned king around those parts of Central Pa during those years, nobody else coming close in overall fame and credibility.

If the matter had come to a credibility issue between cloutless graduate student and "defensive genius, charity king Sandusky" during those years, who do you think public opinion would've sided with? McQueary would've been hung out to dry, and he knew it. Didn't matter what the truth was. And if it'd come to a credibility question between McQueary and Paterno? Even worse.

McQueary was a vulnerable kid who knew he could've had his career squashed by guys like Sandusky and Paterno at a monents notice. Meanwhile, Paterno OWNED that program, owned Sandusky, and by many accounts, essentially owned the University itself. Who the fuck was Paterno afraid of?

I can somewhat understand McQeary's decision not to report outside the University. But there's absolutely no excuse once you go one step beyond him, and especially when that step reaches King JoePa himself.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I said Babe Ruth. Not Joe Paterno.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

McQueary was a grown-ass man who showed no courage or moral fiber, in a life-defining moment.

10. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

My problem with McQueary is that he saw the act AS IT WAS HAPPENING and did nothing. Intervene, call 911, do something if you see that going on. After the fact, when the crime is no longer being committed, you report it to whomever you're supposed to and expect them to do their jobs. If McQueary learned about something after it was over or they ran away and he couldn't do anything more at the time, I'd have no problem (well, less problem) with what he did. Not stopping the rape right then and getting the boy out of there is my problem with McQueary.

And when it was an unnamed GA, I could almost understand it. I envisioned some 120-pound waterboy who just wanted to be around the team. To find out it is a former starting QB, who was plenty big enough to do something about it, I lost any understanding of how he could walk away. He wasn't a cloutless, vulnerable kid. He was a former QB in his mid-20s. He would only get hung out to dry for reporting the rape of a 10-year-old if that was a well-known habit of Sandusky's that everyone was overlooking. If that's the case, you guys are welcome to call Paterno anything you want.

11. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

Yes, he could've gone Soprano on him and told him to go somewhere else and rape kids. Instead he reported it to the people who are supposed to work with the cops on these things so that it could be investigated and he could be arrested and put away. That's what "kings" do - they delegate. Why there was no follow-through is the subject of the investigation. If it turns out that it was because "Lord JoePa" didn't want any follow-through, there's no defense.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You mean hung out to dry like the boy and his mother who reported the 1998 sexual assault allegedly committed by Sandusky, which was investigated by university police and nothing was ever done about it?

Yeah, I'm sure McQueary would have been universally praised in Happy Valley for accusing the legendary architect of Linebacker U of child rape.

Draft saved Draft deleted