1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. sportbook

sportbook Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Fifty million Chinamen don't give a damn.

2. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Think of it this way: Could you have a conversation about anal rape with your grandma? Could you do it without beating around the bush, without euphemisms, without stopping if grandma said "all right, I've heard enough"? Could you have that conversation if you weren't used to being an objective, such as a journalist or lawyer or medical professional would describe it?

We don't know what was or was not said from the GA to JoePa, or how the message was conveyed from JoePa to Curley. And I'm not saying it excuses any culpability.

But I don't discount that was an incredibly awkward conversation that everyone was all too happy to leave the details out of, particularly if you're a 28-year-old trying to explain a horrific situation to an 80-something legend.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

According to his bio, yes. I do recognize his name from a few Giants winter tours.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Fortunately, Jeremy Schapp's already on the ground in Happy Valley.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

That is why HR and/or campuse security do the interview. JoePa and Curley have no expirience in these matters.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And here is quote from Cope...

I particularly irritated Penn Staters by accusing Joe [Paterno] of excessive piety. You see, for many years he seemed bent upon casting Penn State as an academic facsimile of Harvard and his football players as model citizens (when in fact some of them told me they received the benefits of rural isolation—no major newspaper there to snoop—and a friendly police force).

When I was at Arizona State there was a baseball coach named Dub Kilgo who liked to go around and flash people or steal women's panties or some sort of shit like that.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-09-22/sports/9203260366_1_burglary-kilgo-arrested

I found out after he was arrested that the university and even local writers pretty much were in on the secret. This is not as big, obviously, but it shows that there are friendly police forces in many other places other than State College.

This is not news. Dog bites man.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm with you--nothing about Paterno and this case, not even the unmentionable, would surprise me at this point. But it's a stretch to believe Cope knew THIS, or something even worse than THIS, was going on when he wrote the above graph. My guess is he just saw a program that was as immoral than any other D-I program when it came to recruiting bad kids, breaking the rules and doing shit that gets the Cleveland States of the world punished, yet got away with it all thanks to its remote location and a sycophant local press and police force.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I will lay odds of 3:1 that the presser is cancelled.

Any takers?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, and there's a chance McQueary was uncomfortable - for a variety of reasons -- with saying exactly what he saw.

But, let's remember, this was 9 years ago. Joe was only 75, which is a lot different that "80-something".

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Notre Dame football coach ordered a kid up on a scissor lift on a 50 mph windy day. The kid tweeted that he thought he was going to die. He did.

It happened in broad daylight. The coach all but killed the kid. Not even a wrist slap for the coach.

So nothing is surprising.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Please with the 'uncomfortableness' of the conversation--that's a stretch beyond comprehension. Some of you have been in locker rooms before, right? Well, Joe's been in them for what, 60 years? I'm sure he's heard enough to make an aircraft carrier of sailors blush. McCreary, too.

And all that had to be said was Sandusky, shower, little boy, and that should have spurred action--if people were interested in all that is right, and not all that is Penn State.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, 100%. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted