1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Yep. You have to feed the beast.

And my guess is that the PSU sports information office isn't making the decision on whether or not to hold this PC. That has to be coming from university PR/legal counsel.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not a fan usually of Herm Edwards, but on Cowherd's show a moment ago he completely threw Paterno and the GA under the bus, saying that when a child is in danger, there is no protocol you have to follow. "There's no, 'I'm going to tell this person about it.' No, it's 'I don't care if I have to get in a fist fight I am taking care of this child right now. As an adult, that's what you have to do."

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The only way to make this press conference a success for Paterno is for him to enter, announce his immediate retirement as coach, stand up and leave without taking questions.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Odds of that happening are less than 10 percent. But it should.

Even better would be for Sandusky to follow the Pennsylvania model and show up, cue the song "Hey man, nice shot," and do the right thing.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Doyel is truly one of the best people to have on the scene in a situation like this because he truly does not give a fuck about adhering to made-up phony "rules" about decorum. And he won't hesitate to act like a much-needed bulldog.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I think any other response indicates a person has lost his way, and a ton of perspective.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It would be great to think that everyone in the university is telling Paterno not to go through with this press conference, and the man himself is insisting that he has been doing this for 60 years so he's going to do it this way, and nobody at the university has the balls or the power to stop him.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sorry, a guy blowing his brains out on live TV a la Budd Dwyer doesn't solve anything for anyone.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Given the way Herm departed from The Jets he loses me talking about anything to do with integrity.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In a weird way, Sandusky is almost the least culpable person here. Hear me out. Sandusky is obviously a sick individual. I'm convinced that pedophilia is so far outside of the pale of normal human behavior that is has to be indicative of a serious mental illness.

Everyone else, on the other hand, is sane and conniving and self-interested. There is an argument to be made that Sandusky couldn't stop himself. He couldn't save the kids. The rest of them could. And didn't.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if Greggg can take JoePa. He better be careful.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd normally agree with you, but Herm's just talking about basic common decency here, which is obviously something Paterno has lacked for decades.

Draft saved Draft deleted