1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Maybe Sandusky suffers from TBD. He played in bad helmet era.He could have got his brain wires crossed.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

How do you know? Couldn't you have said that comfortably about Sandusky 15 years ago?

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

What flaming horseshit this is. Sandusky is sane, he knew it was wrong (and illegal) to stick his penis in a child,he did it anyways. "Least culpable"? Christ.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Normal people don't molest children. He might have known it was wrong, on some level, but been unable to help himself. Being a serial child molester is a lot of steps from normal: (1) You have to be attracted to children. Not normal; (2) You either have to not realize that it's wrong, or you have to realize it's wrong, and not be able to exercise the impulse control to stop yourself.

5. sportbook

sportbook Member

^ Spanier, Graham (1975). "Mate Swapping: Perceptions, Value Orientations, and Participation in a Midwestern Community". Archives of Sexual Behavior. http://www.springerlink.com/content/g18580h5t244324u/. Retrieved 2010-10-15.

6. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Spanier and Paterno should be put into a room with the victims and their families so these two great leaders can explain why they did nothing to alert actual law enforcement authorities that their good friend needed to be investigated as a pedophile. I'm sure the story of how they did the bare minimum and allowed Sandusky to operate in a business-as-usual fashion on their campus will go over well. Those two need to experience the pain and devastation created by their willful coverup -- all in order to protect that oh-so-special Penn State brand.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Jimmy's boys doing drugs and holding up convenience stores; Joe Pas staff entertaining young boys.
    We needed bowl reform back then.

...oh and these "cable news" people reporting on this and JoePa's regularly weekly presser talk about it like it's a state department briefing. God, it's just more reason why sports reporters can be news reporters but many news reporters have no clue how the sports world works.

I also think this calls for a remake of the "We are Penn State" World Campus commercials

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not being "normal" does not excuse heinous behavior. There's a difference between mental illness and sanity. Tons of us suffer from some sort of mental illness, hell depression is a mental illness, but that doesn't absolve us of culpability if we go out and commit crime. And it doesn't make us legally insane.

Yeah, he obviously did have some sort of mental illness that gave him the urge to molest children, but I don't believe for a second that he had no control over it. He could've supressed his sick urges the same way other people suppress urges every day. He had volitional control over his muscles, he knew it was illegal and wrong, he CHOSE to act on them.

Sorry, but I am not ready to hear people making excuses for Sandusky.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Presser canceled.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

@sganim

#Sandusky Pres Spanier cancels weekly Paterno conference. Joe "disappointed" #patriotnews

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

ESPN reporting 12:20 p.m. newser canceled ... and, yes, the talent did say no reason was given why. Uh, I can make a guess why ...

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My main point is that at least Sandusky has something wrong with him. Clearly. We can argue about whether he had control over what he was doing or knew it was wrong. No one will know that but the psychiatrists.

But I think that we're all pretty sure that Paterno and Curley knew that what Sandusky was doing was wrong. And they did nothing.

I'm not trying to excuse Sandusky so much as I'm trying to emphasize how wrong the behavior of everyone else was. Much like the Catholic church.

Draft saved Draft deleted