1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Because I don't think he thinks he was wrong.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I imagine a statement like that would make a nice jumping-off point when the plaintiff's lawyer begins questioning Paterno in the civil suit. "So you're acknowledging that you could have prevented my client from being raped in 2003?"

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Didn't exactly take the New York Times to figure this was coming. I think we have heard the last of Joe, and the next to last of his statements released by his son, Scott. The last one will be Joe's "retirement" release.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Matt Millen is apparently on the board of Sandusky's charity. Can't fathom why it's a good idea to let him talk like this.

5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

At least Woody went down swinging.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

God, I hate comments like Dick's that start all the excuse making for abhorrent behavior.

And I love Stoney's responses.

Was going to begin to expand further, but I think I'll just leave it at that.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Amazing this took 638 posts to surface.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure what the Pennsylvania law is for civil suits like that. My guess is that he didn't have a legal duty to report it to police. As far as I know, there is not tort liability anywhere for failing to report something or failing to stop it from taking place. I think it would get thrown out of court. I think.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, please expand further.

I fully cop to being - I don't know if "sympathetic" is the right word - but something like that, toward sex offenders than other people are. The actions, I agree, are abhorrent. But I do believe in most cases we are talking about a seriously mentally ill person. I am troubled with the blood lust often directed at them by society, I am. Just too convenient to me.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was just going to post this. Would explain why the press conference was canceled.

Since the President is involved in all of this, it falls on the Board of Trustees to make these decisions. Since it's not just one person, and they need to reach a consensus, it's somewhat understandable that they're taking a little bit of time to make a decision or go before the press.

I'm sure they want some legal advice and want to speak with one, clear voice once they make their decision.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep. Paterno can't really even make any public statements of regret, because they open him and the university up to liability.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Seeing as how they are liable, maybe they should just take their medicine.

I know, I know, it would never work that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted