1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Do you think Paterno will go quietly? For some reason, I don't.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As I said in the post that no one will see because it is on the prior page, I don't think that's the case.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Paterno needs to face the victims and their parents and explain.

As for being unsure about what McCready (sp) told him? From what I've pieced together, when he told his father he was so shook up he could hardly talk. I don't think that leads to any uncertainty.

Grown man and a boy in a shower, think man, nothing good comes from that scenario.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Criminal charges maybe -- it's debatable -- but no way in hell there won't be multiple civil lawsuits coming out of this.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think that there is a duty to stop someone from doing something in civil tort law. I think the exception is when you have control over the person - for example, a doctor treating a psychiatric patient or an employer. So the question becomes the relationship between Paterno and Sandusky at the time, right? And the significance of this taking place on Penn State grounds. Interesting ...

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Dick, people who arrive at the level of success and prominence that Joe Paterno has did not get there by being apologetic. It's not in their makeup to offer mea culpas, especially when they are backed into a corner. And to put my amateur psychologist hat on for a moment, I wouldn't doubt if Paterno perceives himself to be a victim in all of this.

7. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

This might not cost the Nits scholarships or bowl bans but in some ways it seems worse than SMU's death penalty.

It was going to be hard enough for somebody to replace JoePa had he just retired because of failing health but this seems to spread collateral damage far and wide. I think Joe and Spanier obviously are gone as part of that collateral damage and probably McQueary as well.

Can't be long before Spanier resigns.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Yes, but you must have actual facts to write the story, and the Times ferreted them out.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, I have no idea. I don't follow college football closely, let alone PSU.

But, hell, I've been fired before. You take away the keys and the ID Card. You tell security to not let him on campus, and you have someone pack up his desk and deliver his personal belongings to him.

That's it. They owe Paterno no loyalty. He fucked up bad. He didn't stand up for that kid 9 years ago, no one needs to stand up for him now or take his "legacy" into account.

And, even if you're just thinking about what's best for the football program going forward, you'd reach the same conclusion. He's got to go. Make it swift. A lingering situation will just make it worse.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Short of firing every name associated with the GJ report and hiring a coach with an impeccable moral track record like, say, Tony Dungy, not sure what the Penn State board of trustees can do (from a football perspective) to save this trainwreck.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You got that right Starman. I hope the board gets rid of everybody, not just Paterno.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Pretty sure someone said this early on, but maybe it was on another thread, or another site.

Draft saved Draft deleted