1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

You're troubled by the blood lust directed at pedophiles? A pedophile is the lowest of the low. You being troubled by this makes me really wonder abut you.

2. sportbook

sportbook Member

Just checked in and saw that their were exactly 666 responses on this thread. Yep, sounds about right.

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree they have done a nice job on this story. Now State College has 150 or more reporters in town and the scandal will only grow exponentially. At least by letting Joe and Spanier make an appearance it saves some face. I think by canceling they look like cowards and even more suspicious.

This is the longest tenured coach with the most wins of any major college coach who had run what almost was universally thought to be a squeaky clean program. Hollywood could not have written a more dubious ending for this school and its legendary coach.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am. I'm troubled by blood lust, period.

And I guess where we diverge is that I don't think they are necessarily the "lowest of the low." Maybe the "sickest of the sick."

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Generally, absent some statute, there is no common law duty to rescue, except in the case of emergency workers or if the putative rescuer has created the hazardous situation.

In those limited situations, there is likely a duty to act reasonably in the rescue, but a lot of states have even limited liability for rescuers in those situations.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

From that outstanding story in the Harrisburg paper about the victims -- and btw this may be indelicate to point out now but we are seeing a reporting star grow before our eyes in Sara Ganim:

The only semblance of comfort their family has had in the last three days is from community support.

“At last, my family and I are believed,” she said. “Because they tried to make my son and the other boy out to be liars.”

Penn State Proud. Wear it high, TeamBud.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's about their only way out.

They have to nuke the whole football program, the whole athletic department, the president and half the administration.

The replacements can't come from the "Penn State Family" -- nobody who has been part of Paterno's program in the last 50 years. It will have to be people who have barely ever set foot on campus.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's exactly what they should do.

In 1991 Warren Buffett stepped in and served as Chairman of Salomon Brothers for a brief period. The move saved the firm, and possibly the entire market.

The Board should go to someone like Dungy and beg him to step in and coach the rest of the season.

Everybody else goes. Everybody.

If you just fire Joe, who coaches on Saturday, McQueary? That would be great.

They've all got to go, and you need someone with the stature of Dungy to save them.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was referring more to any lawsuits from victims post-2002. If Paterno says he should have and could have done more to end it then, there's a reasonable case to be made that he's partially at fault for what happened afterward.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What a load of typical lawyer horseshit.

11. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Again, Paterno and Spanier are part of the collateral damage from this.

How can they possible stay? How can Joe possible even be a figurehead coach even if he never sets foot on the sideline and stays in the pressbox the rest of the season?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Morally, yes.

But probably not legally, unless there is Pennsylvania statutory or case law that indicates otherwise. The logic is that the law does not want to force people to put themselves in danger.

Draft saved Draft deleted