1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

In a sick, strange way, this whole tragedy could make it easier for the poor soul who has to replace JoePa. Unlike the string of replacements for The Bear, Joe Pa's successor has a built-in excuse for a few years of on-field, and recruiting, failure that the fan base, no matter how rabid, must be willing to accept.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I understand this will never happen, and the idea gets thrown around a lot when a program gets into trouble, but there is a reasonable case to be made to forfeit and not even play under this cloud. Wipe one game off the books, pay Nebraska for its trouble, and give yourself a couple of months to make a fresh start.

Of course, I'm sure 100,000-plus fans will be screaming their allegiance to Holy Joe.

It's truly fitting that when Penn State really wants to show for the TV cameras, they hand out T-shirts and towels and create a White-Out.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How so?

First of all, my argument is much more medical than legal.

Second of all, I don't like it that politicians basically use sex offenders to score cheap political points. They do it all the time, trampling their civil liberties, essentially, because they know that the public will support anything up to and include public hangings. I find that distasteful, at best.

4. Dick Whitman

Everyone keeps saying that the fan base will be screaming its allegiance for Paterno on Saturday.

Is that necessarily the case?

Wasn't there a large faction - or isn't there one - that wanted him gone a few years ago?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Spanier should go even before Paterno.

The function of a university president is to guard the interests of the whole university, not offer "unconditional support" for underlings who may have been involved in serious crimes.

The BOT should have terminated him as soon as those words got out of his mouth.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I've seem you medical arguments about depression, I'm not inclined to take you seriously when it comes to medical arguments. You're right, pedophiles aren't the lowest of the low, the people who defend and make excuses for them are.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

You called it. Not surprised Penn State canceled, but as others have mentioned it only makes things worse. When key people refuse to talk, reporters find others who will talk. When you have hundreds of reporters sniffing out clues, and said reporters are being given the runaround by key people, reporters have a way to find details key people will be mortified to see in print/online/on TV.

8. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I don't think Penn State is going to become Indiana in the Big Ten. There is still too much talent and tradition to lose every top recruit. USC, Miami and other teams recently hit by scandal still managed to stay relatively strong.

Funny that this might be one of Joe's better coaching jobs. The Nits are the only unbeaten team in the Big Ten.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I bet there are a few people in power who wished they would have pushed harder over the past decade to put Paterno out to pasture. No one is bigger than a program. I remember me and Shottie having some debates over whether Paterno had the right to name his departure date.

10. Dick Whitman

Explain.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Plus, successors of legendary coaches almost always get in trouble if they try to disassociate themselves from the previous program -- now, it will be pretty much required.

One thing is certain, NIKE will finally get its chance to take its crayons to the football uniforms.

12. Dick Whitman

The behavior is abhorrent. But that doesn't mean that anything goes when it comes time to deal with it, just to satisfy some primal thirst for revenge. That's not who we are. We're better than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted