1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Anything less, frankly, is unfair to the players who are there now.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about Jerry Sandusky's mental state to know whether he could control his impulses or not. I am unable to form a learned opinion about that.

I do know enough to know that he was attracted to children. And I feel sorry for him for that, because I don't think that is something he chose. Clearly.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you're right, Starman. Damn, never thought I'd find myself typing that! :D

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Feel sorry for this low-life piece of shit when he goes to jail. In prison society, pedophiles are the lowest of the low. He's going to hope his life ends before his sentence does.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Let's take it as a given that if Sandusky did what he's accused of, it was an awful, awful thing that he needs to go away for a long time for.

But to interject into the Whitman-JC sidebar a bit: Dick is right: Pedophilia followed drunken driving as scapegoats in the culture wars, and as way for a politician to take popular action without taking action on the thornier, more-relevant-to-all issues. Personally, I'd rather have a registry to find out if a murderer lives near me than one that tells me where pedophiles lives, but that's not how our society is doing it. And just remember when perusing the registry that pedophilia ranges from raping an infant to an 18-year-old having consensual sex with a 17-year-old.

As I indicated earlier, murder is worse than pedophilia. And I'd venture to say Bernie Madoff ruined a lot more lives than the vast majority of pedophiles. If we're lynching anyone, he goes first. But again to emphasize: the need for a convicted pedophile to do time is greater than any thought of sentencing him to a psych facility for treatment.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure about that. I may have to take that bet.

7. sportbook

sportbook Member

They have done poorly. To its defense, the difficultly is that there are so many layers. Every faction within Penn State has its own survival and best interest in mind. It isn't as if the university side could line up against the athletic side, as the university side is clearly in the mix as well. The Board of Trustees needed to take a bigger role earlier but we all know how those type of administrative bodies work.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How so? We have a difference of opinion here. Why does that make me an "expert"? You are playing just as much of an expert role as I am here, in that you have a definite opinion on the matter. It's just a different opinion than mine.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The default assumption is that he chose to act on them. Unless you have some reason to believe he didn't, your stance seems to assume that he did.

By this argument, you could never be upset at anyone for any action ever, because it's theoretically possible that they couldn't control themselves.

10. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Just when thought it couldn't get worse from a the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is talking about scenario.

Ben_Jones88 Ben Jones
    Scott Paterno, Joe's son, is working on setting up an off-campus press conference for Paterno to speak at.
    7 minutes ago

This should go well.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't think murder is necessarily worse than pedophilia.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh good Lord let this be done in a way that allows it to be televised live.

Draft saved Draft deleted