1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Baltimore Ravens radio announcer (no relation) with some decent gallows humor on the situation:

GerrySanduskyGerry Sandusky

A great big thank you to my late mom for choosing to spell my first name with a "G".

2. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Paterno setting up his own presser shows that he believes he's bigger than the school. That alone should get him fired on the spot. Well, that and his protecting a pedophile.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My guess is that if Scott Paterno is trying to set up a press conference, and going outside the school's communications department to do it, it's because Joe is already the former head coach at Penn State University.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's logical. But there are some people who think they're bigger than the university.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The idea he didn't do "anything" wrong is beyond preposterous.

At best -- by a technical and semantic reading of the duty-to-report statutes -- he MIGHT not be guilty of a crime.

And in order to support that argument, he has to push the proposition that he was a doddering obtuse isolated figurehead completely out of touch with his own program -- in 1998.

6. Starman

Or will be the instant said PC begins.

7. LongTimeListener

Oh he's doing great by the media. If you read Scott's Twitter feed, it looks like the first word of Joe's independent press conference was in his response to a tweet by Chris Dufresne of LA Times suggesting that Joe should hold a PC on his own away from school grounds.

But it's a horribly stupid idea by any standard other than what's good for the media, although I suppose you could say that Joe himself is OK under the "WTF do I care, I'll be dead before the lawsuit anyway" theory.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You're confusing a lot of issues here, which isn't surprising, because you're in no way objective or capable of making an argument detached from your love of PSU football, and you've proven that repeatedly on this thread. My desire (and the media's desire) for answers is very different that the University's potential liability if they let a 84-year-old man stand on the lawn somewhere and answer questions that could, and will, eventually become part of a court record.

I'm all for letting Joe Paterno, with his cloudy mind and his defiant attitude, dig an even deeper hole. I suspect if this happens, he will essentially be dousing his flaming legacy with kerosene, and the image most people will remember will not be the 1987 Fiesta Bowl, but one of an angry old man shouting at Gregg Doyel from someone's lawn.

But by all means, let's make it happen. Just realize in an effort to save his old man, the son is going to make it much worse for him, and increase the school's potential liability in a civil lawsuit tenfold. If the PSU was a private school, I'd push Paterno in front of the cameras myself. But the taxpayers in the state of Pennsylvania have, economically, benefited tremendously from Paterno, and if this happens, they will be handing back some of that money to cover the cost of his stubborn arrogance.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If Scott is saying that Joe will be on the sidelines on Saturday, then no. This is a delusional family trying to protect their father's legacy.

10. LongTimeListener

DufresneLATimesChris Dufresne

Dear Scott Paterno: Your dad does not need to adhere to Graham Spanier's edict. 60 years on campus means you can hold your own presser. now.

1 hour ago

DufresneLATimesChris Dufresne

If I'm Paterno I'm preparing my own press conference no later than 5 p.m. EST today, especially if school is working on my exit

57 minutes ago

ScottPaternoScott Paterno
    @cgummer @dufresnelatimes @espn_colin working on it.

1 hour agovia Twitter for iPhone

11. Starman

Is Dufresne trying to bait Team Paterno into committing public suicide?

JoePa can hold his own PC whenever he wants, but PSU is going to decaptitate him the second it happens.

12. LongTimeListener

Sure sounds like it -- and with his time deadline he's trying to get it in time for the nightly network news!

Draft saved Draft deleted