1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

And as I mentioned a few pages back, nobody knows what was going through the head of a 28-year-old graduate assistant. The mother can say what she wants, and of course she has a right to be angry, I'm merely saying that's not the direction I'd spew my venom. At least without knowing why he chose not to do anything.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What a noble crusade.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

No. She's right. if you saw someone getting knifed on a subway you wouldn't go home and call your father and ask what you should do.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

What if you were the kid's father?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's reminiscent of the pro-Bob Knight rally and "riot" in Bloomington in 2000, only this is worse.

Knight was essentially let go for being an unrepentant jerk for several decades. Paterno did the barest minimum to stop a known child molester and created an environment where molestation could continue.

I can't stand fans who can't put their fanboyness aside for two seconds and put things in perspective.

The reaction is sad and its sickening in a societal way as far as where some people's loyalties lie above all else.

And I imagine the abused are just loving the fact that there are those who feel it's more important to rally 'round Joe instead of taking their nightmare into account.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a parent of a 10yr old boy, I'm right there with that mom. I really could care less about what that 28 yr old (an adult btw) was thinking, all I know is he could have stopped my kid being raped and did not.

I do give him credit for at least doing something constructive. Unfortunately it was not enough. At least he's on record for reporting it.

As a parent I could absolutely be spouting what that mom is saying.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't talk to any reporters, to be honest. Yes, I'd be angry, but I wouldn't vent my frustrations through the media. What good does that do?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, she's been holding it in for nine, 10 years. So I think a venting is long in order.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Bubs, do you understand what it's like to have a program like this be an integral part of your life for 30, 40, 50 years?

I grew up fighting static to watch "TV Quarterbacks" with Paterno on the regional PBS station when I was 10, 11. People plan their entire financial year around getting into that parking lot seven times each fall. Nobody thought they would be facing a day like this.

So maybe you're going to have to bear with the fan base taking a little time to wrap their head around the happenings.

10. mb

mb Active Member

A grad assistant who just happened to be a former QB of the team. I'd wager that he could have beaten the piss out of a bucknaked old man.

11. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

I agree. That would be awful. Defending someone accused of abetting a serial child molester who may have done no such thing? That wouldn't be so bad, would it?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I am a HUGE Wonka fan, and this was very well played.

Draft saved Draft deleted