1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

"But he told his boss."

Whether you think the student that Doyel quoted was correct or off-base, you have to realize: This is what we're teaching our young people. Education in America has become less about thinking for yourself and more about following the rules, which of course are made by those who benefit most from the rules.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One observation/excuse I'm getting very tired of: the "he notified a supervisor, which is what he's supposed to do" reasoning.

That's what you're supposed to do if Larry keeps asking you out and it's getting uncomfortable. That's what you're supposed to do if Chuck is pilfering office supplies.

It's not what you're supposed to do when you discover, directly or indirectly, that Jerry is raping a ten year old in your facility. That's when you call the police. Anything short of that is pathetic.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Paterno has no "boss."

When faced with a situation which could potentially destroy his program, everything he worked for for 40+ years, he should have immediately said, "fuck the so-called 'chain of command,' this sick fucker, I don't care if he's my old pal or not, is doing shit which could bring my whole program down in flames (and will eventually if it is revealed), so I am feeding him straight to the cops and putting it on the record loud and clear I never want him to set foot in my building, in my locker room or on my campus again."

Assuming he was motivated by sheer self-preservation, not by the best interests of the actual victims -- as soon as he had credible evidence of Sandusky's predilections, he should have thrown him overboard with barely a second thought.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

On my way home, I listened to a few minutes of whatever show is on DC's 106.7 The Fan after LaVar Arrington's show. A man called in and said that he was the victim of molestation when he was a kid. He said he's never told anyone, not even his wife. He said he's 35 now, the father of two kids and that he struggles every day with self-esteem issues that stem from the molestation. He sounded on the verge of tears. The kind of damage that Sandusky did cannot be undone. Those who let it continue are disgusting. Someone having the balls to speak up/call the cops/follow-up could have spared one or more of those kids the horror of having to live with this.

My 4 year old little cousin was taught how to call 911 at her pre-school. Too bad McQueary/Paterno/whoever else never learned how to do it.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

A thought popped into my head today while making a long drive and listening to sports radio. If McQueary had walked in on Sandusky raping a woman, do you think he would have reacted the same way?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If the fan base is taking this long to wrap their heads around it, maybe their heads aren't screwed on so tight in the first place. I get the part about innocent until proven guilty. But if Sandusky eventually is found guilty, Penn State people are always going to have to ask themselves (and I hope someone asks their coach) how many kids could have not been hurt if the first instance had been handled responsibly.

7. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Honestly, I think less would have been done had it been Sandusky with an adult woman.

When an adult is assaulting a child, there is no question, it is wrong. There is nothing that can explain or excuse it.

When an adult appears to be assaulting another adult, there is a chance there was consent. Because of that possibility, people are less likely to act.

I'm not saying it's right, or that people don't have more of an obligation to act when an adult may be harmed, but it's where people's thoughts go.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well if they win the Big Ten, the Rose has to take them.
    Beyond that, it goes Capital One, Outback, Gator. Outback has the easiest way out -- they had Penn State last year and can fall back on not inviting a team two years in a row.
    Any other bowl taking Penn State risks having child advocacy groups picketing on game day. Not what you want from your bowl experience.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was on my dinner break, so I didn't respond upon your original post, but c'mon Shottie. It's a fucking football program. I'm not going to pile on what BYM said, only to say he echoes my feelings.

And as far as not telling people what's important to them? Gimme a break.

When there's people who are more worried about rallying around a coach who may have enabled more abuse by inaction than for the victims of a completely off-the-charts heinous act, well, sorry, guilty as charged. I will call them out for lack of perspective all the live long day. They reap what they sow.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

999/1000 I'd agree with you on that one, jr/s. Part of being human is caring deeply and passionately about stupid things.

But this is the 1 time in 1,000 that decency demands you put that aside.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The whereabouts of the DA in the 1998 case came up earlier.

Someone said he had "disappeared". I said he was dead, which I had read, and was corrected by someone who said he really did disappear and was declared dead.

Here's the Times on his story:

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No way they play in a bowl game this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted