1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

I know it won't happen. Not in a million years. But it would be nice if these events would cause people, particularly middle-aged men, across America to reflect on how much real emotion they invest in a stupid fucking football team. Not just Penn State. But every damned last one of them. It is escapism and a hobby. A fun way to keep up with your alma mater and maintain the connection. That's what it is. It is not worth selling your soul over.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wanna see real outrage in State College? Tell that fanbase they're staying home this bowl season.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well that's a creepy little detail. Whoever killed him was trying to hide something.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They won't win the Big Ten now. Hell, they may not win another game. Paterno will be pushed out either this week or after the game on Saturday. There is no upside in accepting a bowl bid with an interim head coach and all this shit hanging over the program. They'll be bowl eligible but I expect they'll announce they're declining all bids.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A couple days ago we were all talking about how this story wasn't connecting with the public or getting much play, particularly over the weekend while games were going on.

As soon as people took their eyes off of football, it blew up. Especially once Paterno became more and more involved.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Harrisburg story earlier noted how intensely private he was, so nobody knew anything about why he decided not to prosecute. I haven't seen anything regarding what other high-profile controversial cases were under his judgment, though.

7. mb

mb Active Member

I thought I read something that said *he* was trying to hide something. Supposedly did a google search on "erase hard drive" in the days prior to disappearance.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think we were only talking about that in terms of why ESPN was ignoring it. I don't think there was a general feeling that this story didn't matter or wasn't resonating.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

this case just keeps getting more messed up.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't know why they shouldn't play in a bowl game. I presume it'll be under an interim coach.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

While it's juicy and interesting, I think it's a leap right now to connect his disappearance with this case. I'm sure he's prosecuted a ton of crimes where someone wanted to make him disappear.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A conspiracy theorist's field day.

Murder, accident, suicide, fake death?

And no body ever found. So weird.

Draft saved Draft deleted