1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

I was somewhat sympathetic to him until I read the quote from the victim's mom about him calling his daddy. She was right. He was nearly 30 and he could have taken responsibility to prevent much of this, and instead he passed it on to the grown-ups and checked out.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

PSU's website has a picture of the Board, but very little info about who its members are.

Does anyone know more?

I'm guessing a majority are graduates and have known Paterno for much of their adult lives. And, I'm guessing at least a few of them are reacting much like the PSU fans/graduates we have here.

I also don't know anything about their bylaws. Normally, this would just be the President's call, right?

But, since he's involved, it's up to the Board. Can they just take a vote, and fire Joe if they have a majority, or does it take something more?

Either way, they really need to act.

It's the right thing to do, but even more than that, as I said earlier, if all they cared about was the football program, they'd fire Joe today. It will be better in the long run to end this now.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If it was anyone who was a father (and probably most other people, except for the 1,000 idiots from last night) who saw a kid getting raped in a shower, they would have beaten the shit out of Sandusky and let the cops clean up what was left.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I keep waiting for somebody in this situation to just do the right thing, whatever that might be in their particular relation to the situation. Somebody. And now it's Wednesday. And nobody has.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine how I would have reacted in the situation. I hope I never have to. I don't think I would react with violence. I imagine that I would bolt and call the police and let them handle it. I understand that wouldn't be far enough for some here, and that's OK. I just think that's how I'd react.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Seems apropos.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

BTW, FWIW, the WWL is 24/7 with 411 on the PSU tragedy now, OK?

8. YankeeFan

And, if you're a Board member, who knows Joe has to go, aren't you pretty frustrated by now.

When is one of them going to step in front of a microphone and declare that Joe must go right now?

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Anyone else find it weird to hear Paterno's kid refer to his dad as "Joe" and not "dad" or "Coach Paterno" or something?

10. YankeeFan

I think their initial lack of 24/7 coverage has as much to do with the story breaking over the weekend as anything.

We've seen MSNBC and FOX fail miserably at covering breaking news that developed overnight or over the weekend.

On the weekend, ESPN is scripted for the entire 48 hours. They likely had no contingency plan for how to cover something like this, and with PSU off, they had no one on the ground to cover it.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Anyone who does not immediately stop a man from sodomizing a 10 year old boy is a coward, plain and simple. Now I know some of you are going to try to rationalize why he, or you wouldn't stop it, just excuses from cowards.

Let's hope that if anything awful were to happen to any of your kids, that people like yourselves are not the ones around.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

How are Penn State's postgame interviews handled? Does Paterno usually talk to the media after games? Do the players, or are they muzzled all the time? (And that wouldn't surprise me, considering what I've read on this thread about the wall put up around the football program.)

Assuming Paterno "coaches" on Saturday (or whatever it is he does up in the box), I would be surprised if anyone from PSU talks to any media after the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted