1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Joe Pa retires. Breaking.

AP reporting; effective end of season.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

From the PSU governance website:

Per my reading of it, by and large the board's authority (in this matter) extends only to who the president is. The Board can certainly guide the president in this matter, and can require of the president that he report fully on the situation. But it seems, to me, that the final decision as to whether Paterno remains coach (or so-and-so remains AD, etc.) rests with the president, and with the president alone.

3. TigerVols

I noted that; Lane Kiffin calls Monte "dad." That just seems much more natural.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Quick edit.

Yeah, they're saying it's effective at the end of the season.

Not enough.

Fire him.

They gave him the time to resign on his own. He didn't do it. They have to fire him.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not enough. I *might* be willing to say coach Saturday at home (last home game of the season) and that's it, but even that feels like too much at this point.

6. TigerVols

I'm inclined to let him coach this weekend, in honor of the seniors on the squad -- players who had nothing to do with this tragedy.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They won't fire him. Don't have the guts. What we have seen here is an enormous institution in which cowardice is the dominant principle of management. The taxpayers of Pennsylvania ought to demand a total purge of the school's operation. But they won't. Too busy trying to get tickets to the Outback Bowl.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

End of season? So they're gonna allow this circus to drag on for several more weeks? Such a bad idea. Basic common sense should tell them that it needs to end as soon as they can possibly make it end.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

In his testimony McQueary said both Sandusky and the child turned to look at him.
    But let's assume McQueary was so traumatized at seeing a boy pinned against the shower wall and being raped by Sandusky, he froze, or bolted, called his dad, whatever. Still, for the next nine years he willingly worked in the same facility with a man he KNEW FOR SURE to be a child rapist. Maybe McQueary felt pressure to remain silent -- and he'll have to live with that -- but his resume seems weighty enough that he could have looked for work elsewhere. He's a grad of Penn State, a former QB and captain, and that's got to carry some clout.

Bottom line now: Is a man who admits to witnessing the rape of a child but doing nothing to stop it the sort of man anyone wants coaching their kid?

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That'd be a negative.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He was playing CYA.

CYA is obviously part of life there, under St. Joseph.

There's no embarassing these people.

Paterno's next road game -- if he makes it that far -- is going to be a riot.

Literally.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, that's why everyone has to go, right now.

And, thanks for the info from the GJ report. I'm really not sure I can read it.

Draft saved Draft deleted