1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury in Sandusky investigation

Breaking News: Joe Paterno continues with retirement plan he's had in place all along.

2. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

At a minimum Paterno knew about this since MARCH. He's had months to plan a graceful exit. Instead he decided to stick around to set a record. Fuck him. Dump him now.

3. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Have the posters on this board who have fully supported JoePa returned from the old man's lawn in State College yet? I'll bet they're all hoarse from chanting their support.

4. McNuggetsMan

The irony of Joe Pa leading a "We are Penn State" chant while he is being blasted for covering up child rape is fantastic. "We are ... rape enablers."

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

He's also Penn State's recruiting coordinator.

6. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

If you mean me, then no. But I don't "fully support" Paterno. I just support finding out exactly what he was told and what he did before trashing him. If what you assume he was told and did is right, I'll be back to trash him.

7. McNuggetsMan

"Come to Penn State... we'll take good care of your kid as long as he is not getting raped in the shower."

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Have you read what he admitted to the grand jury? That's already more than enough to trash him.

You keep saying wait for the details to resolve themselves, but the undisputed details are already 95% of the story. We're just quibbling over the final 5%.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It will take a full 20 years for Penn State University to get out from under this financially.

I went to a college with a low endowment compared to other colleges of the same caliber. I worked for the endowment committee for awhile, and I remember administrators telling us for every year endowment falls below expectations, it sets the university back 5 years.

Who's going to want to open up their wallets to PSU? Chanting support is one thing; writing a check is another.

If you're among the best and brightest in Pennsylvania, do you feel like applying there at the moment? 1-2 years of not having the elite apply to your school will set 'em back YEARS. Because fewer elite means fewer high-earning and distinguished grads.

To say nothing of the damage to the football program, which brings in millions. The other sports programs will suffer as well.

Assuming they clean house and bring in a Tom Ridge and do everything right... Minimum 20 years to get out from under this.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Excellently said, but that has been pointed out to TeamJoe about a hundred times and he doesn't care.

TeamJoe, so you're OK with everyone else being out on his ass (McQueary, Spanier and the two indicted guys) based on what's in evidence and without due process, but with Joe we have to wait and pretend there's some possibility that he was in the dark on everything but this one isolated from 2002, and the details "fondling or something of a sexual nature" were too murky for him to really know what was happening?

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Joe Paterno announces retirement, says sex-abuse case a tragedy and wishes he had done more.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So what's Curley's excuse?

Draft saved Draft deleted