1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pizza toppings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedCanuck, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The old dickhead was flat wrong about pizza, but I still miss him.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I make my own pizza occasionally. It's something I have been doing for the last year or so, and I have done it 5 or 6 times now, because one day, I was thinking, "How hard can it be to do that well?"

The biggest key I have found to making something that people go "wow" about, is using fresh ingredients. If you start with fresh tomatoes (and the sauce doesn't have to be complicated, just let it simmer for a long time and reduce down--oh, and garlic, even too much garlic, is never a bad thing), slice thin pieces of fresh mozzarella and lay basil leaves on liberally, you can't go wrong on any pizza. A decent dough is easy. Bread flour, some olive oil, salt, water and yeast, and put it in a warm place and give it enough time to rise a health amount. When I have done toppings, it's limited to veggies. I have done kalamata olives (from a middle eastern specialty store that rocks) and I am always OK with crimini mushrooms.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ragu, have you ever done pizza outdoors on the grill? I found that while this requires care, it tastes great.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mike, I am a vegetarian and I live in an urban jungle, so I rarely grill. I could, I guess. My building has a backyard where you can have a BBQ, and our roof deck has electric grills (which seem to take away every good reason to grill).

I'm wondering how you get that right, though, because the one difference between the pizzas I make and the good sit down pizza restaurants in NY is that they have coal-fired brick ovens that get so hot that they just kiss the pizzas with a few minutes of heat. I have to get my gas oven cranked up and then I have to cook the pizza for 15 minutes or so and then add the cheese and cook it another 10 or 15 minutes or so.

How do you do it on a grill and get the right amount of heat? Do you cook it a bit indoors to get the crust going first?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's exactly it. You get the crust a little hard, than take the pizza and put it on the grill. My grill gets very hot when the cover's on, so it works. But you do have to be on guard for scorch marks. I even have one of those long handled spatulas you see in pizza joints. I do not do this often, as it's a lot of hot work.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm still working on perfecting my baby shrimp and Old Bay pizza. It's getting there.

One of the keys is smoked provolone rather than mozzarella.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Bacon cheeseburger pizza with mushrooms and jalapenos. That'll do nicely.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wife wanted pizza for lunch and we went to what is often called one of the best pizza places in the state (although I think that kind of ranking is kind of silly, since all the good ones here are good and it depends subjectively on what style you prefer). After a little consideration, we went with no toppings. There's a lot to be said for that, too, when it's a great basic pizza.

9. jr/shotglass

At the very least, if I'm not dieting, I'm going to want extra cheese.

10. leemar442

leemar442 New Member

the best pizza by far is pepperoni, onions, BBQ base with a thin crust. simple but perfect

11. jr/shotglass

It's a good thought. I've got to be in the right mood, though, to bring BBQ sauce into my pizza.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

just had a slice with bbq sauce yesterday at a birthday party for my daughter's little friend. wasn't impressed. i have a sweet tooth but don't like sweet on my pizza. i'll save the sweet for dessert, thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted