1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Guessing he's a Florida transplant.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mississippi dealt with that last week. We got bad storms Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and each system did a number on different parts of the state so Entergy got stretched pretty thin. I think it caught them off guard, too. That's a very unusual event for June. Some people were without power for four or five days, and down here in June that is not optimal. A lot of people were getting pissed off after the first day.
    Ours didn't go out, but my mother-in-law went two days without it. They left their dog with us for the night and went to a hotel just to enjoy a shower and some AC.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We pivot seamlessly from storms to heat here. The high temperature on Wednesday is forecast to be 111ºF at DFW. That's just one degree off the record high for June 28, set in that lovely summer of 1980. With all the rain we've had, the humidity and heat index are going to be brutal.

The good news is that a front is expected at the end of the week — high of 91º on Sunday, although the GFS model is pushing the front back to the middle of the following week, after July 4.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It was so hot, even Erin Napier was sweating.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Looked at the DFW climatology for June and we haven't hit 100º yet, which surprised me because we've been close. The average first 100º day here is July 1, so we're not far off. There have been 12 days this month that DFW has reported thunder, which tells you how stormy it's been, but oddly the office has recorded less than an inch of rain.

In stark contrast, Possum Kingdom Lake west of Fort Worth is just 12 inches below the spillway; that lake has been almost bone-dry for years. Tells you how much rain some areas out west have gotten while other places have been pretty dry.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What the hell!?!

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

#FutureAvatar

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

FWIW, my FIL was telling me Generac is seeing a boom in Texas as people with the means have been installing natural gas powered generators due to fear of brownouts. Not ice storms. Not tornados. But the grid failing in the heat.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

F that shit. I've got a 65 quart cooler full of ice, two 5 gallon gas cans, and a smaller generator. If you leave for a Cat 2, pull that Salt Life sticker off your truck.

11. Twirling Time

12. Inky_Wretch

Yeah, but you have to fill those up with gas.

Draft saved Draft deleted