1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think you're right about that. It's like a severe thunderstorm that breaks the "cap" when the lift gets strong enough. Once it busts, look out.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

When we talk about a line of strong thunderstorms coming through, this is what we mean. Note that this is the gust front before the rain even hits.

How would you like to be in a jet sitting out on the departing runway when that hit?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Probably a good 60 mph tops, definitely a severe storm but not quite a shingle-ripper.

4. Neutral Corner

Nope... but we've been good for one or two of these a week this spring.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

People are focusing on Phoenix, but it's gotten as hot as 96 in Flagstaff, which is brutal for a place that sits at 7,200 feet. Not sure how much has changed since I moved 18 years ago, but most houses/apartments were not built with AC because it rarely got above the mid 80s with 8 percent humidity in the summer. Really no need for it. Anything above 90 was extremely rare.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I went through Flag a couple of years ago and yeah, didn't see many ACs. Even as kids when going between SoCal and my grandparents' farm in Colorado, we all loved getting to Flag because the weather was so nice after the brutal drive through the Mojave (including Needles) and ahead of the drive on the Navajo Trail.

96 in Flagstaff would be really bad to endure.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Our overnight low in Phoenix was 97 degrees. Highest overnight low ever recorded here.

Fun times.

8. Neutral Corner

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Obligatory.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We need an 'unlike' button.

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Hurricane Andrew, imo. It seemed like a freak event at the time but it served as an introduction to the devastating Gulf storms to follow.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

3pm.

119 degrees.

Draft saved Draft deleted