1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They said on the news last night that we hadn't had a 100-degree day in this part of Mississippi since 2019. Now four of the last six have gotten to 100 or above and the heat wave isn't supposed to break until Monday. That 92 next Thursday is looking mighty nice right now.

It was 103 today, according to my phone (heat index of around 110). I wanted to wash the cars and trim the hedges, so I waited until the sun started to dip at about 6:30. Figured it'd be hot but maybe bearable, especially with the hose to cool me down. I got it half right. Been back inside for about 45 minutes and I'm still breathing a little heavy and feeling dead-legged. Probably not the smartest thing I've done this week.
    Told my wife this afternoon that walking outside was like sitting in a hot car, except the entire Earth is the car.

Driftwood and FileNotFound like this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That's what you get for voting Republican, you dirty heathen. :cool: REPENT, sinner!

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and I Should Coco like this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The slight cold front that I previously had mentioned for Aug. 9 seems to have fizzled, but we did get a couple of stray thunderheads that slipped south of the Red today. We'll have a minimal chance at some rain the next 3 days.

The CFS model gives me some hope. It's predicting a big break in the weather Aug. 20 with highs in the 80s. That is a taste of late September for us.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It poured rain this morning. High temp should be 88. I love this Monday.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There is some optimism that we may not reach 90 all week due to recurring thunderstorms. Right now I’ll take it over Heat Dome Summer.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The entire DC metro area is freaking out. There’s a line of severe storms and a tornado watch for the next four hours. The federal government closed at 3.

I was working and got calls from both of my kids’ summer camps telling me to come pick them up early. There’s nothing worse than sitting in standstill traffic trying to get your kids and get home before shit gets real.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, we're supposed to get clobbered down here in RVA too. Need to find a place on my street to park away from big trees. (Spoiler, no such place exists.)

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law works in or around Crystal City, and his office got sent home.
    I got sent home from work early. We had local TV reports of wind gusts up to 104. A couple of people claimed there were two tornados in the county, but that was all hearsay. The TV nor radio mentioned it, and I'm pretty sure they would have.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Time to head out to the Capital Ale House, beach your car in the middle of that huge parking lot, and then ride the storm out having a few frosty pints.

Cosmo likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If the storm is over here, I’d rate it a 4 out of 10.

Wasn’t even the worst storm of the past 7 days.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted