1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I do PA and run my school's press box. We aren't fancy. Our press box is an old school cinder block box. Typically, the first couple of games are miserable. It's like being in a pizza oven. We opened Friday night, and thankfully, all day Thursday and Friday were fairly temperate. It was hot but not god awful. Gold Bond is your friend.

maumann and Batman like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It’s weird how little national coverage this heat dome over the middle of the country is getting. It’s like there’s a coastal bias or something.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

At 10 p.m. here, we’re at 87 and 102. We hit 100 with a 118 today. Fucking miserable, and like @Inky_Wretch, I’m partial to heat as opposed to cold (if I may speak for him).

At least it was beautiful a week ago trout fishing below the Bull Shoals dam.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

And you didn’t invite me!?!

Driftwood and swingline like this.
  6. swingline

Sorry. I’m not exactly sure where you’re located, and we had three in the boat plus the guide. My buddy’s girlfriend’s grandson, 9, caught probably 20 to my buddy’s five — and my three. Kid caught rainbow, brown and brook trout. The brown are really beautiful.

The guide knew where all the fish were and said he’d caught individual big browns several times each. He’s been a guide for 34 years, and his dad for 56.

Gaston’s was the place.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Yes, Gaston’s is the place!!! Which guide did you get? Were you using jerkbaits or flies?

(I’m in Fort Smith, 125 miles from Gaston’s. I know the drive well.)

swingline likes this.
  8. swingline

I can't really remember his name. Brian, maybe? In his early to mid-50s. Just a little bit of a bullshitter.

We used some little fish for browns and shrimp for rainbows. Sinker for both was about three feet from the bait. Guide had all the gear, so I didn't need to use my own ultralights.

It was a beautiful couple of days.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Just after 11 pm and the heat index along the Tennessee-Mississippi line is down to a frosty 98 degrees.

Driving into the belly of the beast tomorrow. Inky I’ll wave driving by.

Inky_Wretch, Driftwood and Slacker like this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Latest forecast saying a break in the heat by Monday with a tiny chance of rain. Next Tuesday's high expected to be 90º, which is actually below normal for the date.

11. swingline

84 and 96 here a little before 1 in the ayem

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That's just great writing. I LOLed out loud!

Draft saved Draft deleted