1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Two years ago one of our local high schools took a direct hit from a tornado. It tore the roof off the gym. A fieldhouse located behind it — like, literally a sidewalk's width behind the gym — only had some windows blown out. The football stadium that's about 75 feet behind the gym was completely untouched.
    Tornadoes are weird, man.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They got 33 inches at the Snowy Range ski resort on 130 near Medicine Bow Peak. Very little in Laramie proper, Centennial got hammered.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Aspen Springs, near Black Hawk/Central City, just checked in with 61.5 inches. Nederland got 53, Pinecliffe got 50.7 and Eldora resort got 46.

Still, because the official reporting station is the airport way out east, the official amount for Denver is only 5.7 inches, while a foot fell downtown. Gotta love upslope March storms.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

@MileHigh, how much of that snow is going to make it into reservoirs or the Ogallala aquifer?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My son lives on 16th Street, said they got a lot. The courthouse was closed Thursday so he got to work from home.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've never gotten killed by pollen before, but this late winter has been an exception. Eyes are itchy and swollen. Got better when I left for London last week, but I'm right back in hell this week. So it's definitely something in our air. Ugh.

8. MileHigh

Quite a bit, actually. Won't help with the Colorado River since most of this stuff fell east of the Divide, but a good amount of water will get saved.

swingline likes this.
  9. MileHigh

Yup, city offices closed Thursday and Friday. All schools closed. Sun is out now and the melting is underway. A really good storm.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Upslope seems to be a Front Range phenomenon exclusively.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. MileHigh

Definitely. This was a classic setup. Colorado Springs had its first single-day double-digit recording of snow in 26 years. It's all about a) position of the low and b) wind direction.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Gift article looking at why tornado season seems to have shifted north so early this year and the outlook for the rest of these season. (Hint, don’t plan on a trip to Louisiana at the end of the month.)

https://wapo.st/4cqpznt

Draft saved Draft deleted