1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

After a week of false fall, we are back to heat indexes in the upper 100s. And that sucks. Not that we didn’t know it was coming, but highs in the low 90s were glorious.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just a tick below 100 here today -- and a big fire exploded up to the north and also one in the southwest part of the state.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Rumor has it Wednesday will be our first rain-free day in about two weeks.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We're finally getting a break, too — only to see temperatures rocket back up to about 97/110 for the weekend. I was hoping to cut grass, it needs it after all the rain, but that's a tall ask when it's like that.
    The temperatures were tolerable this past Saturday and Sunday, in the upper 80s, but the humidity was about 75 percent both days. I covered a golf tournament Sunday morning and it was an absolute steam bath.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don’t have a mower anymore since I’ve mostly been in an apartment the last decade plus. And my tolerance for exerting myself in the heat was wiped away once I got Covid. So once a month I grit my teeth and write a check to the lawn service. I can just barely get away with it thanks to the shade trees that keep growth somewhat in check, but those savings probably go poof once it is time to clean gutters this fall.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Our forecast isn't monstrous for us at least. Couple of days where we touch a hundred but mostly it's a high of 97 and low of 77. That is exactly normal for us for late July and early August. This heat dome is building from the northern plains and not from the desert southwest, which makes a big difference.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Thankfully we rarely get the triple digit nonsense.
    Going out at dawn and it being 67 the last few mornings has been glorious.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

72 and it feels like 150% humidity for my run this morning. Totally gross outdoors.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

106 here right now and not a breath of wind.
    Son and his best friend are out playing golf right now.
    I’m enjoying a cold, crisp Budweiser at the moment.
    Life is good.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Stats from today, when I think we peaked at 95/107:
    • Two outdoor assignments lasting about 90 minutes each
    • One dumbass who forgot to grab a hat for assignment No. 1
    • One hobo bath in the office bathroom and two full and proper showers
    • Two pairs each of shorts, socks and underwear
    • Four shirts worn
    • One set of notes that looks like it was dunked in the sink, but was actually just in my shirt pocket during assignment No. 2
    • Two occurrences of swampass.
    • What felt like one borderline case of heat exhaustion after assignment No. 2. That stuff really jumps up and bites you. I was feeling fine when I was out there, and by the time I got home 30 minutes later I just wanted to sit in a chair and stare.

maumann and Liut like this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

More than dozen tornado warnings – might be closer to two – and two in the county in an hour's span. Are you trying to tell us that getting hit by a tropical storm is the lesser of two evils, Mother Nature?

But nah ... there's no climate change. All is well ...

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm up at The Homestead for an event that was supposed to end Friday morning. We've moved that Friday match to this afternoon in anticipation of about 4 1/2 inches of Debby rain falling between 5 p.m. today and 8 p.m. tomorrow. Normally, I'd leave the second we're done, but I don't relish the idea of a three-hour drive in torrential downpours, with half of it on winding two-lane road. And my room is already comped for tonight anyway, so I'll just enjoy it, drive home in the morning, and gladly take a half day tomorrow. If I went home tonight I'm sure I'd be expected in the office tomorrow. Eff that.

Draft saved Draft deleted