1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PLEASE tell me what I'm missing...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Nov 10, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Late joiner on the thread, but I must laud Sonic. Everything about Sonic's greasiness rocks, and it's all done in such a middle America, fried fried fried manner.

I'm glad they're starting to make a presence up North.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm with Pope. If I have something to read at restaurant, I'm good. Pet peeve is when the waitress tries to strike up a conversation about the book, usually something along the lines of, "I'm not much of a reader ... how's the book? What's it about?'' If you're not much of a reader, why are you asking me questions when I know and you know that you don't give a shit what the answer it? Just keep the iced-tea refills coming and let me read in peace.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

$1 Spicey McChickens for the win.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

ijag, a couple things regarding In-N-Out:

I love In-N-Out, but if you never had it and read all the reviews from this board, you’d think that you were going to get 12 orgasms and a foot massage with every meal. You almost had to be disappointed, the way it’s been built up at SportsJournalists.com.

If you started picking at your burger, then you are done. It’s not worth giving an opinion if you’ve picked off onions and wiped off sauce. The burger is just not for you.

And as you spent so much time picking and wiping your burger, your fries went cold. Cold In-N-Out fries are bad. You almost can’t take it home to eat it, b/c the fries will be cold by the time you get home.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I guess I accept much of the blame for spreading the In-N-Out gospel on this board. I love that place, but the closest one is 1,300 miles away.

You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Onion is to California what mustard is to Texas: the default ingredient.

OTOH, the closest White Castle is 600 miles away, but I'm not planning a week's vacation with Hollywood tours and ferry ride to Avalon while slurping down sliders in Farmington, Mo. either.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have no problems seeing movies alone. Hell, I'd skip school and see matinees in high school.

Dining alone doesn't bother me, either. I also prefer to have a book.

I'd still rather see a movie on a big screen by myself than at home.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ate the fries on the way home. Actually popped the first one in my mouth as I pulled away from the window. It just tasted...stale. Weird.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

IJAG had a bad In-N-Out experience. It's not God's gift to fast food, but it is very good. If you're ever in LA, the one on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood is always good because the lines are longer (forcing them to make better food, or so you'd think).

9. accguy

accguy Member

On the previous topic of Outback, I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed a table or booth in the bar area and had that rock strip medium rare. When you're in a college town sometimes it's the safest option. Kitchen is almost always open until 10, there's almost always a game of some sort on TV and you can have a steak and a couple of big ass beers and the total doesn't raise any questions with the boss.

And I usually bring in several newspapers from the town/area where I'm at.

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

IJAG,

Try one more time before you decide whether or not it sucks.

But I get your thing about onions. How freakin' hard can it be to put on the menu board what is on the damn burger (or chicken or fish or whatever), I , like you am allergic to onions...can't eat em' and it kills me the number of waiters, waitresses and the like who think that I must not be allergic if they are in the sauce, or mixed in with something else. When I ask you if something has onions in it, it means I would really like to know. I don't want to deal with you thinking "it'll be fine"...it won't be...trust me.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep. And if I'm out alone in a strange town 400 miles from home, so what? It's not like anybody knows me. If they call me a loser, well, OK then. At worst, I get a good meal on the company and catch up on my reading. At best, maybe I meet some cool people at the bar and find something to do for the night.

(NOTE: not a judgement on IJAG, just my feelings on the matter)

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I thought the menu clearly spells out what's on the burger, I don't go that often. I seem to remember them asking how I want my onions (fresh or grilled) each time. The menu on the site clearly says onions.
    http://www.in-n-out.com/menu.asp

If you didn't want onions, you probably should have said something.

I also disagree that you should give it another try, IJAG. The fries aren't going to be any different. The sauce isn't going to be any different. You didn't catch them on a "bad day". It's just not your type of burger. No biggie.

Draft saved Draft deleted