1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

"If Lincoln wins the election, we'll secede!"

"If Radical Liberals take the Congress, we'll be forced to integrate our schools!"

"If you elect Hillary Clinton, we'll be at war within six months!"

Sometimes the hype is real. Sometimes not.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One thing the GOP is always good at is getting "dark money" to support their people and attack Dems in "info ads" Call Rep. X and tell him not to kill small businesses, that kind of thing. Don't know why the Dems haven't used this strategy on some of their priority items in the Senate and House. Or in Texas, Florida, Georgia etc.

And I'll admit - Trump was far worse than I imagined. Never thought he'd enjoy having to go to the places he'd go to just to draw an appreciative crowd. And courtesy of social media, and siloing - people's "reality" can be whatever they choose it to be.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When they have a less absurd case . . .

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"We need to let the people decide!"

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Maybe I should start quoting some leading lights from 'round here ...

... nah.

6. Justin_Rice

If you're not interested in engaging in discussion, why are you even here? No traffic over at the rival board?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Perhaps you and I differ as regards what constitutes "discussion." I've merely been lampooning the emanations of a certain class of high-certitude individuals vis-a-vis the Supreme Court in general and Justice Barrett in particular.

I am a man of some vision, but the link between that which I am lampooning and the actions of a Congress that hasn't been elected with regards to an election that hasn't been contested between nominees who haven't been named escapes me.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cool. Now do Citizens United.

Neutral Corner and Driftwood like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Well, we meet Jill and Joe and brother Hair with the whole cool gang and, oh
    They're rappin' here, they're rappin' there, but he's climbin' on the wall
    It's a clear case, said Vladimir
    'Cause all the racists know
    They're all slidin' down into the DMs
    They're all slipping on the same slope

Hear the Murdochs
    Don't turn around, oh oh oh
    (Da Da) der Vladimir's in town, whoa oh oh
    He's got the power and you're so weak
    And your frustration will not let you speak

Woody Long likes this.
  10. Justin_Rice

I mean - you're not wrong. All of punditry - including sports and political punditry - depends on the whole, "ZOMG! just wait until you see how bad this is going to be!" thing, and it's usually some extraordinary thing that never comes to fruition.

So I agree with that point.

Yet still: 138 Republican House members voted on January 6 to reject the electoral votes from Pennsylvania (and 120-something voted to reject those from Arizona). Had the idiots not tried to hang Mike Pence, the objections would have continued.

So again: I pose the question to you - What percentage of the House must be comprised of these Trumpist morons before you start to become even a tiny, little bit concerned about the future prospects of American Democracy?

If the Trump caucus manages to wrest control of the House, will they permit Democrats to win Presidential elections, or will they just reject electoral votes? And if that happens, can the United States survive?

lakefront likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You're right of course. Campaign financing rules are all messed up. The case wasn't about "free speech" but providing a bigger megaphone to those with means. That said, if only "individuals" could donate to campaigns - we'd just go back to corps and special interests funneling money to their people and having them donate it like it used to be. Presidential elections now raise far more money than they need to run an effectively campaign - but you know someone is keeping track of who donated what and how much influence they should get.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How is her tedious commercial omnipresence different from any other top star in any other sport?

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted