1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The comments section had a lot of fun at the expense of her profound ignorance.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I've voted by mail (same as absentee) for more than 20 years and never had to provide any form of ID with my ballot. But of course, there's a lot more black voters in Georgia than Oregon, so I can see why not providing two forms of ID would be a problem for Republicans. Voter integrity!

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Honestly, a second form of ID might deter a lot of people, Democrats and Republicans. But it doesn’t necessarily, fundamentally do that.

again - I’m against it. And I concede it’s politics. But a lot of things are politics. To idea that Election Day should be Election Day - not election month, with ballot harvesting, is an idea worth arguing as an idea in and of itself, without having it be morally bound by “well, it’s voter suppression.” Again - a written ballot is a limitation of a kind, too.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Bull fucking shit.

H.R.8 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019

Passed 240-190 in the House, 232 Democrats voted aye and just 8 Republicans did. And once it went to the Senate? McConnell never allowed a vote. Fuck off trying to say Democrats won’t do it.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The GOP is always the party making it harder for people to vote. The poorer voter may not have the means and especially the low propensity voter may not want to go through the extra hoops or do it correctly.

I’ve written this a dozen times here, when your best path to win is by reducing the number of voters, maybe work on your message instead.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Since Biden took over, please tell me he’s prioritized gun control. Please sell me that fiction.

My hunch is I’m more pro gun control than most people here. I know Republicans don’t give a shit. I’m saying Democrats don’t care as much about it as they use caring about it as a way to woo suburban voters who are rightly shocked by mass shootings.

Biden’s priority, upon taking office, was creating as favorable conditions as possible for Democrats to win more elections, immigration, and climate change.

I want to be wrong, but I don’t think you’ll hear much about guns. Left wing radicals like guns. They find them useful.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

From the story, it's 2 pictures of the same id. just fyi.

"Georgia voters would be required to make copies of their photo ID and mail them to election officials twice before being allowed to cast an absentee ballot, according to a bill introduced Wednesday.

The legislation, Senate Bill 29, would create a photo ID requirement for voting outside of polling places in Georgia. Voters would need to submit ID both when applying for absentee ballots and when returning them."

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

The Dems don't want to touch gun control because they know that none of the things that they want to get done would move an inch if they tried.

Neither side is going to be pushing gun control.

OTOH, not passing any law that restricts gun ownership is holy writ to the Republicans. To attempt to say that Democrats are not more willing to pass gun laws than Republicans is a far bigger fiction.

Webster likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

swingline, Mngwa and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted