1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I almost wonder if both the left and the right have adherents who see politics as a "competition." You can't just be progressive or conservative - you have to go beyond that to separate yourself from the pack - into Stupidville).

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

politics are sports
    sport is competition
    fandom is irrational
    freedom isn't free
    antifa loves guns

SFIND likes this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yes, I am familiar with her work.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Why would Southern moderates like yourself care what the San Francisco school board does?

I’ve never understood it. If any voter in Alabama or Louisiana is basing their vote for Congress on what woke city folk do 2,000 miles away, they were never voting for Democrats in the first place.

(Outright erasing these people is stupid. Make the school names hyphenated. When people ask who the school is named after, you have the perfect hook to educate folks.)

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Tired of renaming shit. Name it right the first time or don't fuck with it again.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Stripping Abe Lincoln’s name off a school by itself is worth a mid-sized eyeroll. But it provides the cover for another round of laws about “preserving history” in red states that make it difficult-to-impossible to remove Confederate monuments from the courthouse square or allow majority-black school districts to dump the names of notorious segregationists.

OscarMadison, SFIND and Driftwood like this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Because it draws national headlines and isn't just a local San Francisco story, apparently. I didn't wake up this morning and cruise the San Francisco Chronicle or the Boston Globe.
    As I said early, it's not going to affect the way I vote in my local elections, and as @dixiehack said, it's an eye-roll issue.
    Heck, if they just gave every school a number, be too long someone at a higher-numbered school would complain because they were unfairly treated when the numbers were handed out.

Liut, OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Billy Joel needs to write a new verse at this point.

OscarMadison and TowelWaver like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think their point of studying history is to cast judgment alone.

It's a power grab. If you undermine historical leaders and reframe them as so morally evil that you have to take their names off the schools, you create a history vacuum - which the San Francisco school board intends to fill however it pleases.

It's also a weapon designed to say "America was like this for x years, and, as a result, no solutions will suffice. For the x years America was evil, at least that many - perhaps double - it needs to be this way."

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Or shoving a straw directly into a vein?

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Of course there is great money to be made in rebranding anything - no need to ascribe this to integrity.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because some city folk 2,000 miles away can easily go from "board of supervisors" to "mayor" to 30-year US Senator, who helps decide things that affect those unwashed rubes 2,000 miles away.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted