1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A violent attack on a cultural commentator. Congratulations, comrade, and pass the borsch.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Rock wasn't acting as a "cultural commentator."
    He was making a moderately lame wisecrack about a celebrity who has decided to adopt an unconventional appearance. Undoubtedly operating under the guiding principle, "I don't give a shit what people think about how I look."

EDIT: As it turns out -- and i should have remembered this -- Pinkett Smith did not simply "decide" to adopt a close-cut hairstyle, but did so as a result of alopecia, and Rock has tweaked her about her skinhead look with a couple of previous jokes. Which throws quite a new light on the story.

EDIT 2, Monday 0825: I saw a second camera take this morning on JPS: She was definitely pissed.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think Republicans try to use that fictional speech to justify their paranoia about Democrats actually coming for their guns.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've heard MAGGATS cite the "My name is (Barack Obama), and I *AM* the President" speech as evidence the Mooslim Neegro is a power hungry megalomaniac.

Their worst nightmare is that any Democrats would ever actually say any of that stuff in public.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking how bizarre are politics have become, but then I realized you have an entire generation of Republicans who have had Fox News all of their lives - it's normal, even the WAY to talk about politics for them. And then I thought of Dem legislators and most of them were around when the phone was invented and probably think Fox News will "go away" at some point.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

Sounds like the Convoy is ready for a lengthy career in Congress.

Wonder who will draw the short straw and ask if the WH has a "statement" about "The Slap" at the next press briefing.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

But they will get a pass. Even the cucks.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It was ever thus.

When Violence Broke Out in Congress

U.S. Senate: The Caning of Senator Charles Sumner

The Most Infamous Floor Brawl in the History of the U.S. House of Representatives | US House of Representatives: History, Art & Archives

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_politicians_killed_in_duels

11. DanOregon

There were the personal insults between politicians back in the day, there was the partisan press that attacked and used veiled personal smears against politicians, but for public consumption, no national politician would say these things on live TV for the world to consume - because they believed it was "beneath" the office to have their name associated with such smears. Now it's how these back-benchers get on TV and raise their national profile.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Just making a point about the murderous intensity of people's absurd political beliefs.

The delivery system - scrolls, tablets, carvings, graffiti, illuminated manuscripts, broadsheets, tabloids, telegrams, posters, radio, television, websites, etc. - doesn't seem much to matter.

Father Coughlin - a racist proto-Nazi antiSemite Catholic priest - had a US radio audience of 40 million people in the mid-1930s.

Human nature is the only constant.

I Should Coco and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted