1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We had a whole thread dedicated to his cheating at golf. There's been a book written about it too.

Inky_Wretch and garrow like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

God help me, I still have faith in the DOJ. There's a metric shit-ton of evidence. It boils down to whether the country is willing to let a criminal President hide behind a threadbare fig leaf of executive privilege.

Beware, Trump. 80 new Justice Department lawyers can do a lot of digging.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...t-hires-more-attorneys-investigate-january-6/

"The Justice Department’s proposed budget for fiscal year 2023 includes $34 million to hire 80 attorneys for the investigation into the Jan. 6 insurrection. The department has already brought more than 750 cases, and Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco made clear at a news briefing on Monday that the department is not stopping there.

“The Jan. 6 investigation is among the most wide-ranging and most complex that this department has ever undertaken," Monaco said. “It reaches nearly every U.S. attorney’s office, nearly every FBI field office.”

Lack of money won’t slow the department down. Monaco reiterated, “Regardless of whatever resources we seek or get, let’s be very, very clear: We are going to continue to do those cases.” She added, “We are going to hold those perpetrators accountable, no matter where the facts lead us, [and] as the attorney general has said, no matter at what level. We will do those cases.”

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    OscarMadison likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

More and more damning evidence piles up on TFG and his band of dirtbag criminals. And yet I still have little faith or hope anything will actually happen to them.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm not optimistic, but part of me hopes that Garland and Co. are waiting to spring an October surprise before the midterms and just overwhelm the GQP with indictments and charges.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

AOC's worried about the Democrats, too, now. She think the party isn't nearly progressive enough, of course. The mindset here is fascinating, from the idea that backroom negotiation belongs in a bygone era and ruling by executive order - effectively, autocracy - is the preferred mode of governing.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...?utm_medium=s1&utm_campaign=nym&utm_source=tw

“I have the utmost respect and confidence in the president, but I just felt like we called two different plays on this one,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “I think that there is a sense among more senior members of Congress, who have been around in different political times, that we can get back to this time of buddy-buddy and backslapping and we’ll cut a deal and go into a room with some bourbon and some smoke and you’ll come out and work something out. I think there’s a real nostalgia and belief that that time still exists or that we can get back to that.”

But those days, she says, have been over for a long time. And the fact that Biden and others don’t realize it, she says, could spell disaster in the fall’s elections. With Biden’s low approval numbers and the historic tendency of the president’s party to lose, on average, 26 House seats in the midterms, the Democrats face an uphill battle to keep control of Congress — a situation that requires firing up the party’s progressive base, Ocasio-Cortez said.

“We need to acknowledge that this isn’t just about middle of the road, an increasingly narrow band of independent voters. This is really about the collapse of support among young people, among the Democratic base, who are feeling that they worked overtime to get this president elected and aren’t necessarily being seen,” she said.

Ocasio-Cortez and the other 97 members of the House Progressive Caucus are calling on Biden to issue executive orders to enact environmental protections, lower health-care costs, cancel federal student-loan debts, and expand protections for immigrants.

“If the president does pursue and start to govern decisively using executive action and other tools at his disposal, I think we’re in the game,” she said. “But if we decide to just kind of sit back for the rest of the year and not change people’s lives — yeah, I do think we’re in trouble. So I don’t think that it’s set in stone. I think that we can determine our destiny here.”

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

AOC is the whip-smartest elected Democrat in Congress.

Come at me.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Thank God she has @Alma to mansplain how Congress works so she doesn’t have to worry her pretty little head about it.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She's right about the Dems playing the game with an outdated gameplan. Fighting a modern war with weapons from the 60s.

OscarMadison, Gutter, maumann and 3 others like this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh I think she's very smart. Is she correct?

(And maybe by "smart" you mean "correct.")

Draft saved Draft deleted