1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

My first encounter with that mindset with was a group of Alamo cultists who were putting tracts under windshield wipers. They should have put amigurumi likenesses of Tony Alamo under my wipers. I might have paid more attention. Speaking of which, one of my cows at that same cubicle farm wanted to give a religious gift at our Secret Santa and I tld our supervisor to give her my name to keep people from running to the ACLU (Where I was interning, unbeknownst to anyone but my boss.) She gave me a book on how to make a knitted Nativity scene. I still have it.

HanSenSE and TigerVols like this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

First you slaughter a sheep, then you ...

Big Circus, HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

"Gather four Episcopalians and there shall always be a fifth." The groovy priest with the tie-dyed vestments at St. Vespis the Chagrined in Memphis, TN circa 1987.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    Mr._Graybeard and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Wherever you find four Episcopalians you are sure to find a fifth."

I told the mother of the Doc I worked for that joke, and she absolutely went off on a rant at me. Eventually I was able to get a word in edgewise to inform her that I was a cradle Episcopalian, which defused her somewhat. Eventually. She was full bore High Church Episcopal, went to the Cathedral downtown. I think that she had heard that once too often.

My partner working in the lab was a very Fundie Christian (Church of God, which is pretty much Pentecostal). One year I was able to con her into coming to the Mardis Gras party at my church, which is always fun. Everyone brings a covered dish with a lean toward Louisiana dishes, there are lots of people in costume, and the kids make parade floats out of cardboard boxes and whatever else they can scrounge and circle the parish hall in a parade, throwing Mardi Gras beads.

She was not quite ready for how much beer and wine went along with dinner, and then when the dancing broke out in the parish hall she got really uncomfortable. It was great once she had a day or two to recover from the shock, though.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  5. Neutral Corner

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My dad is legitimately worried about a newly discovered cousin of mine because he was raised Catholic and “a lot of them aren’t saved.” He doesn’t understand why he is met with awkward silence whenever he brings up the subject to him.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

I saw a good question in a Tweet today. Trump and the Republicans have both fund raised based on the Big Lie that the 2020 election was stolen. At one point does that become defrauding people of their contributions by feeding them lies and conning them into donating?

8. Neutral Corner

Gee, it's just the original Christian Church that Saint Peter led. Buncha damn Papist heathens.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That's Taliban shit. Also the basis of Gilead (subtracting football), according to the original Atwood novel.

10. Neutral Corner

I'd say "Prepare the contempt charges", but I suspect that the 1/6 committee already has enough testimony and documentary evidence to find them guilty.

Mo Brooks was also called with them. I wonder if he is pissed enough at Trump to testify about what he knows.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Trumpist Amurrrica.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Actually, as I understand it, many/most Baptists see the church as beginning with John the Baptist's baptism of Jesus.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted