1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The vast majority of the testimony has come from Republicans, many of them from Trump's inner circle.

UNCGrad likes this.
  2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yeah but you can tell how they're actually partisan Democrats because they didn't cheat on behalf of President Trump.

That's how deep the conspiracy goes!

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Not one of them will dare darken the door of the committee. It's either becoming guilty of perjury, confirming guilt by taking the Fifth, or taking the lesser of the three with a contempt charge.

ADD: I guess I forgot a fourth option where they come in with head bowed and sing like a fucking bird, but I rank that about equivalent to Angel Hernandez making the Umpire Hall of Fame.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You are joking but that’s literally the logic.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Here's the mistake I made -- using the word "Democrats." The Republicans and Trump staffers who testified here are being so vilified by the Trump base that it doesn't really matter anymore that they're Republicans.

UNCGrad likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Seriously. What a terrible take about this somehow not being balanced. Anyone that would apply to is going to stick their fingers in their ears and close their eyes and scream no matter who is involved in the hearings and no matter what the evidence is.

I actually don't think those people are as numerous as many think. They exist, but I think the vast majority knows who and what Trump is, saw pretty clearly what happened, and even if they are getting more particulars about his scheming right now, they already know that he knew he lost and thought he could bullshit and bully his way into invalidating the election of the guy who beat him.

What I think is the real problem are the people who don't care, or if they care, shrug their shoulders and choose antipathy, like, "OK, let's just move on." He should have been convicted in an impeachment trial and it should have been done in just days, before his term ended (he actually should have been removed from office well before then for a number of other things that proved he was unfit for office).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    Baron Scicluna, HanSenSE and UNCGrad like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Liz Cheney has raised $5 for every $1 her closest — and Trump-endorsed— foe has raised. ($10MM to $2MM.) And she’s getting crushed in the polls.
    The pedo pseudo Christian klansman has raised $650,000 — pretty big number. While not blessed by the Lord and Savior, he has not exactly faded away since the year-old revelation.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Damn, Ragu. It's not about whether they're right or they're wrong. They are WRONG. But if the hearings don't change perception, if they don't make some of these miscreants see the light, they were useless.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

John Avlon is really solid on CNN.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You can't force people to care. If nothing comes of this, in 8-12 years, after the Nazis complete their takeover, at least no one can say they weren't warned.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

You've encapsulated the problem. It's not the Trumpists. Those people are lost-cause nutsos.

But the rest of the GOP - allegedly sane - has been terrified for six years now to tell those people the truth, because they're afraid to lose elections when the nutso crowd abandons them. See also: Liz Cheney.

Republicans and this country's right wing will not escape the grips of Trumpism (and the slippery slope I'm afraid we're traveling) until they standup and call this bullshit out. No more talking around it. No more what-aboutisms. No more, "how did the left let it come to this?"

There are GOP candidates.
    Talking about it's time.
    To hunt RINOs.
    In a commercial with tactical gear and flashbangs.

... and this person is still a Republican candidate for office, with the backing of the RNC.

Draft saved Draft deleted