1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Old people move to Florida because it's warm. Younger people move there for opportunity and lower housing costs. Jacksonville, the city I'm most familiar with, is one of the most ethnically and racially diverse cities in the country because people trying to work up the ladder can find housing. I don't think ANYONE moves for ideological reasons, they just say that. Californians move to Idaho because it's nearly all white, full stop. That's not ideology, it's social pathology.

OscarMadison and I Should Coco like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was just in Provo last week. None of the locals say “California.” It’s “Commiefornia” and they’re pissed about all the Pride flags flying around their town now.

maumann likes this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah.

[​IMG]

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I don't know where you've been lately, but like everywhere else, housing is through the roof in Florida. I live in one of the most overvalued markets in the country right now. But it's all over Florida. There are no reasonable rentals except maybe in the rural panhandle area.

5. Michael_ Gee

It's all relative. When you've spent your adult life in greater Boston and now Cape Cod, there aren't too many places where housing prices don't look more reasonable. My very own abode has, according to Zillow, gained 25 percent in value in the last 2 1/2 years. The apartment in Cambridge where I lived 50 years ago is a condo worth more than said house. If people do move to the farther away as Hermes proposed, it won't be because of politics. In Boston's case, it'll be because nobody can afford to live here. It's weird. One reason the city became a tech/biotech magnet was just the great universities, it was because when the boomers came of age, Boston was a good town in which to be young and relatively broke. That's long gone.

tea and ease likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The same reasoning that the country is where we are today is why the Dems (under current leadership) won't touch the filibuster (they don't have the votes anyway). But the party is lead by a generation of leadership worried that any bold moves would be met by a backlash from the general electorate, and the Republicans have gotten to this point because they don't worry about a backlash.

OscarMadison and TowelWaver like this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I’d like to believe this, but North Carolina keeps voting for Trumpists even as its population is allegedly getting smarter.

maumann and heyabbott like this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s like waiting for the youth and Hispanic vote to turn out ina blue wave. It is not happening. Solve that problem and you’ll solve the electoral college.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just a reminder that ALL of this vile behavior on the part of the GQP and its enablers is deeply rooted in anti-semitism.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

They don’t care, as long as their taxes are lower and their religious preferences are met.

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It is not as expensive as Boston. But it's pretty astonishing what prices are doing down here.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

The law of supply and demand tells us that's because lots of folks, for whatever reason, want to live in Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted